Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oppinions: Are bassists the most dedicated band members?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bass Case, Jul 8, 2000.

1. Bass Case

Bass Case

May 20, 2000
    Just wondering what you guys think. I hear a lot about bands breaking up and it always seems to be one of the other band memebers responsible.

For me, when I play, I'm usually one of the first one's there and one of the last to leave. Never make anybody wait for me. Am I alone on this or are you all like that, too.

2. Biski2Dope

Biski2Dope

Mar 26, 2000
    I'm the least dedicated...

I hate being in a band. I hate how i'm always pressured to write an extra complex bassline to one of Busface's sucky guitar riffs. I hate how Debra isn't very talkative. I hate how Bus really thinks that we're gonna grow up to be the next Limp Bizkit. I hate how they try to modify my lyrics. I hate how Busface calls me at 8 on a saturday morning and asks me if i can make it to practice. I hate lugging my basses over to Deb's house. I hate it all.

If i hadn't just set up our pretty website, i would quit.

------------------
    I am rubber, you are glue. Whatever you say i will store in a little box just in case i need to shove it down your throat at any given moment.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Biski2Dope:
    I'm the least dedicated...

I hate being in a band. I hate how i'm always pressured to write an extra complex bassline to one of Busface's sucky guitar riffs. I hate how Debra isn't very talkative. I hate how Bus really thinks that we're gonna grow up to be the next Limp Bizkit. I hate how they try to modify my lyrics. I hate how Busface calls me at 8 on a saturday morning and asks me if i can make it to practice. I hate lugging my basses over to Deb's house. I hate it all.

If i hadn't just set up our pretty website, i would quit.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gawrsh, Biski, that's depressing! [​IMG]

You make me want to quit, too!

Bass Case, I don't know if we're the most dedicated, but I think we have the smallest egos.. It seems you always read about a singer or lead guitarist not being able to get along with the other members or having 'artistic differences'..

OTOH, Billy Sheehan left DLR and Muzz Skillings left Living Colour over the aforementioned 'differences', but it seems it's rarely the bassist..

------------------
    the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Don't forget Paul McCartney...

Bisk, If you don't like being in a band, I suggest you learn to play some guitar, get a drum machine or some cheap percussion stuff, a Tascam Portastudio and a microphone and just hammer out your songs at home. As a matter of fact, I think that's good advice even if you stay in the band...

I too hate the type of commitment required when you're in a band, but that's just when there seems to be little or no talent in the group. I have a friend in school who plays piano and whose musicianship is amazing. We're good friends and I think if we form a band I might just be ready to commit. Other than that, it's just freelance, with a real book on a music stand and about $20 pay and dinner thrown in after the end of the gig.

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    You can't hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket!

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't like that stuff either, but I look at it like this. My band plays for free at every single gig. But it's gonna cost you anywhere from $300 to $2,000 for us to set it up and tear it down. That's what you're paying for ... the pain in the ass. We love to play, so it's FREEEEEEeeeeeeeeeee!

p.s. Only 8 more posts 'til I'm eligible for veteran's benefits. By the way, what are they?

6. yeah, i kinda feel like that. i'm always the one thats looking for "the tone" or "that beat" the guitar player, he's just, like i dont know, its kinda odd to explain it, like its almost like he doesnt care. its kinda hard to explain. its like he plays somthing wrong, and its like totally messing up the song, but he just keeps going, and expects everyone else to change. its kinda annoying. also the whole volume thing, like he plays a 50watt guitar amp, and of course he's pushing it all the way. and then when i say that i want a new amp (i only have a 50 watt) he says "why do you need a new amp, your already too loud as i see it. and its like i'm only pushing it at 5 pregain, and master at 7. and for me, i can hardly hear it, i mean, i've stoped playing and you can hardly hear the difference. i have no clue how they can notice. maybe i'm just deaf. and they added a keyboard player. i mean he's my friend, but like when you add Keys (no offence to you guys who like them, its just not for me) it just adds noise, and thats it. thats all i hear when i hear keys. cause like we're playing covers right now, but soon are gonna write our own stuff. and its like, it started that we were gonna play punk music and stuff. and then it happend where we started to learn all this old stuff, so that when we do gigs, we can do it for older people (we already got a gig for that, where we only play oldies) and i thought that was fine. but then they bring in the key's and we just had our first practice with the keys, and i didnt want the guy there to begin wiht, and then to top it off, i didnt have the heart to tell him to stop playing. and... even though i didnt wnat him, i dindt wnat him trying to hear the chord changes, so i told him them, and of course the guitar guy doesnt even attempt to go over and help. i dont know if its just me, but like i really dont like keys with my type of music, i mean, there is a reason why people stoped using keyboards (no offence to people who still use them, i'm just saying for punk and stuff, cause no one does) and like i have no clue how we're gonna fit keys in with punk. and to top it off, the guys i'm in the band with, i grew up with them. so its not like i can quit and never see them agian, its like, i quit, and i am hated for a long time.
    and then the drummer, he is dedicated, he always learns the song, he's been playing the drums since he was 5, he kicks major @$$ on the drums, but... he supports the keys. i mean he's a great player, but i dont know how to get to tell them that i dont want key boards, and that i dont wnat to play old songs, and i need to be heard, and not just the faint sound coming from my amp cause of their extremely loud playing. and i mean, for me, music is life, so i dont wnat to quit, and i dont wnat to have to say all of this. maybe everyone hates their bands. i dont know

------------------
    I am a self proclaimed boy genius

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hey, Bisquithead, what are you, like 14?
    Just my opinion...you haven't been in "it" long enough to have that much ennui.
    Moral of the story: Enjoy "it" while you're young(& able) [​IMG]

...oh yeah, McCartney was the one that ultimately quit The Beatles(and AFTER he talked the other guys into staying!).

------------------
    I need to get a life...!

[This message has been edited by JimK (edited July 09, 2000).]

8. I don't know if its that bass players are Deditacted... I just think they get into less arguments with the rest of the band. I ususally don't get into any arguments, until it comes to VOLUME and BALANCE of the band. Our lead guitarist never says I'm too loud but our back-up guitarist always says I'm too loud... No matter what! Even though according to all musicality the bass is supposed to be the loudest of it all...

------------------
    "What do you mean there is too much bass?"

9. hell_awaits

hell_awaits

May 2, 2000
    I'm pleased to say that the dedication is pretty wide-spread throughout the members of my band. Well...heh...with the exception of one of our vocalists'; he doesn't do much, complaining seems to be his talent.

10. oldfatman

oldfatman

May 27, 2000
    Geez
    If only Muzz had wanted to play a SIMPLE bottom line...and Corey wasn't pursuing a movie career...and Vernon wasn't torn between metal and funk and that artsy harmolodic s***...and if Jimmy Grant/Roger Cramer were able to manage the bands business better. I wonder if drummers aren't the most dedicated! [​IMG]

I think the hardest part is finding other musicians who share the same musical language. The best band I was ever in played parties, bars and churches. We moved between musical styles because we understood what each other was saying. We were dedicated to the whole thing not just the roles we played.

Finding that again is HARD!

YourMostHumbleFatness

11. thunder child

thunder child

Feb 14, 2000
    I'm wondering if there's a personality thing at work here....... I don't like to generalise usually but here I am and I find myself just about to do so. I know a lot of bass players (from real life) and it seems that most are "quiet achievers". They don't like to rock the boat. When someone criticizes them instead of getting up in arms they take heed - perhaps a little too much at times. Usually they have a tendency to be less talkative than the other band members. Bass players seem to do a lot of the "behind the scenes" work for promotion - they mightn't be the one to sit for an interview but they're the one who is maintaining websites, doing up flyers, organising finances etc. What do other people think? Does personality play a role when choosing your instrument?

12. i totally agree with thunder child... its like with my band, out set list was chosen out by the drummer and guitar player. i recomended a few songs, but the guitar player pretty much refuses to learn them. i bring it up every once in awhile, but if its not fun for him to play, then we pretty much dont play it. also about the bass player doing the behind the scences stuff, i know that a lot of you guys dont like the bass player from korn, but like he does pretty much everything behind the scences. he designs all the t-shirts, arranges all the behind the scences stuff. but he kinda does talk in the interviews.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think there is something in the idea that people's personality is reflected in what instrument they play. If it's not really part of your personality, then I would say - why are you doing it?

To me - bass is the only instrument I really feel happy about playing - although I have played guitar and keyboards in bands - and I think if you give it long enough, (10 years say! [​IMG]) you will know what instrument really fits what you want to do. When I listen to records I hear bass lines and think about them - the lyrics float over the top and everthing else is incidental and peripheral, while the bass is always central ...

Anyway, I have regular conversations with the guy at our Jazz club who books musicians and he is often complaining about "so and so" being a real pain or someone else being unreliable. Once, in one of these conversations, I asked about who he liked and found no problem with and guess what - he mentioned a couple of bass players.

Then I asked him about others and we went through all the Jazz bass players we both knew and we realised that we agreed that they were all "nice guys" and very reliable. Even the ones who played electric bass! In his experience, sax players and guitarists were generally the most unreliable and hard to deal with.

14. Bass Case

Bass Case

May 20, 2000
    I totaly agree with you, Bruce, about what you said in your second paragraph. I played guitar for a while (only about a year) until I picked up the bass. Continued to play the guitar, but saw myself playing bass in the future. And when a song comes on, the bass part seems to leap out at me. A drummer I know says the same thing goes for his instrument, he hears the drum parts.

15. I am definitely the most dedicated in my band. I have to find all the work, remind the others what time to be at the gig and not to be late, (which they often are) liase with the Roadie who also has to pick up the guitarist as he will not drive to gigs, sort out the set list for the type of venue we’re playing, supply them tapes of any covers we are going to do, organise posters when venues insist on them, loan them equipment when necessary as they never carry spares, find them after our breaks to get them back on stage in time, diplomatically sort out any arguments between them, sort out the money and pay everybody at the end of the night, and nurse maid them all in general. They are so lazy it’s untrue.
    Still, I wouldn’t change them for the world as we’ve been together ten years now and it feels like they’re family, also they’re great musicians.

16. I agree with what was said above about personality and choice of instrument. I'm shy by nature and I prefer to kind of stay in the background, so maybe that has something to do with why I play bass. As far as being the most dedicated.. well, my guitar player writes all our songs, and he's very dedicated to that, so much so that when he's in "writing mode" he'll call off practice for a few days at a time. But as far as making sure we're on time for load-in and soundcheck, and making sure the rent on the practice space gets paid on time, and general issues of being responsible and somewhat professional.. if I didn't do it, no one would.

17. Tim_Tool

Tim_Tool

Apr 29, 2000
    Cleveland Ohio
    In my band, I'm always the last one to find out about shows and practice and stuff. I seem to be the one that always get sh!t on. They don't respect me and it really pisses me off. Believe me, I love being in a band, just not the one im in now. I've sacrificed alot to make it to gigs and to buy equipment, more than any of the other guys. Personally, I think me and the singer are the most dedicated, and the other two are just jack offs. It pisses me off.

------------------
    This!!!!

[This message has been edited by Big Wheel (edited July 11, 2000).]

18. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I don't think I'm the most dedicated, but I definitely have the best ears!

My band is cool, the guitarist and drummer and I get along great. We hang all the time. We just can't find a dang singer to fit in with us.

Whatever happened to normal dudes that just played music? Oh yeah, that's us!

19. I dunno about most dedicated, but I'm the one that's most into music. Both guitarist/drummers are content to use tabs and/or the most basic of open chords for their own original songs, the other guitarist is a struggling cellist that's being forced to play it by her mom, and me...uuuh...I'm the guy with the bass that's actually taking any lessons. [​IMG]

------------------
    I am a pool of extremely useless information. Take no notice of me whatsoever.

20. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    Of course we are the most dedicated. With the mass of equipment we have to lug around, we have to be.

Jokes aside, I used to take my music and band a little too seriously. After one too many disappointment with the music scene and the people involved, I threw in the towel, went to law school and became an attorney. I now play for fun, with other guys who also play for the love of the music.