Opportunity: Should I pounce on it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Metts, Nov 21, 2000.

1. ok, here's the deal.
    I've got the opportunity to get a Washburn RB-4000 neck-through bass for $500 (lists for $1200). I haven't played the bass yet, but I plan on doing so tomorrow. My question is, does this seem like a good deal? Does anybody have any horror stories with Washburn basses? I want to get a good 4-string, and I was thinking about looking into a Warwick Corvette 4, but that's definitely going to be more expensive than this option. So, any advice would be appreciated. I'm sure somebody will tell me to get a Stingray... and I've thought about that too. Of course, that will probably end up being as expensive as the Warwick, so those options are in the same boat right now. To answer the obvious question of style, I play some metal, some punk, but I would really like to get a good slap/pop tone out of this bass. Something that could emulate a kind of later Suicidal Tendencies/Infectious Grooves sound (if anybody knows about those bands). Anyway, thank you in advance for the help.
  2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    My only piece of advice is: take your existing bass and amp along for the audition. That way, you''ll have a starting point of reference as far as sound, and you'll be beter able to evaluate how it'll sound in your context.

3. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Playing it should answer your question as to whether or not its a good deal. If, however, you really want the Warwick you'll just be moving $500 further away from what you really want.
  4. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I have had a Washburn 4 strings for the last 12 years and I just love it. Great Slap sound, good tones, the original EMG pick-ups do make a difference.

I would not hesitate to buy a Washburn if you want a versatile Bass without spending all your money.