Opportunity to get a customized Sting Ray 5 for 1500...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Jun 27, 2005.

1. ok, so this guy I know got a MMSR5 for 1,500 completely customized, the only problem is they got the color wrong. (They = GC) so now my mom might be willing to take hte step and buy it from him...I'm mega pumped. I wanted my next bass to be a six string, but this will be great. I can't find a picture of it's color, can anyone help? It's like..semi orange in the middle and it turns bright cherry red. (Matching headstock)

Now, if my parents help and take the plunge, I'm going to owe them for hte next year, but I think it'd be worth it. Every MMSR5 I've ever played has been utter greatness...
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If it's $1,500 Canadian or Australian, that might be a good price. It's way too much in US$.
  3. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Agreed, especially if there's not a transferrable warranty. Also, adding in that you want a six string and you'll owe your parents money for a while...I wouldn't jump at it. Used Stingray 5's pop up all the time.

4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    You can get a used Ray 5er for $850--$900 used without much searching. $1500 is WAY too much, even new.
  5. +1
  6. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
  7. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    + another.

Mint = $800-$900 max.
  8. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    The other thing that comes to mind here is what is customized about this bass? EBMM doen't do any custom models. When you special order a five string Stingray, you get to pick the color, pickguard, fingerboard material (rosewood, maple or fretless), headstock painted or unpainted and either with or without piezo. In the near future you will be able to choose whether you want H, HH or HSC also.
  9. The guy at GC told me that they are no longer carrying MMs anymore. I don't know if that is just the GCs in TX or all of them, but they had their new ones marked down quite a bit. You can get a brand new one with factory warrenty for right at $1000.

Yea, and if he told you it was an actual "custom", then he either lied to you or he sent it off to someone other that EB to have it done. They do absolutely NO custom work.
  10. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    $1500 is way too much. I haven't ever seen a SR5 as low as $800 that wasn't on ebay but if you're spending over a grand for one in mint condition you're overspending.
  11. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    EBMM instruments will remain in all Guitar Centers! Even in Texas. A lot of stores are dropping prices on their EBMMs so they can get in new stock. Have you noticed that every GC you go into has the exact same Music Man basses with the exact same color and options? Well, they want new colors and new options so they are trying to move the basses they have now. Sterling Ball himself confirmed this.

12. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    in case you didn't see the 10 other posts saying this, $1500 is too much... i just like to feel involved sometimes :D
  13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've bought FIVE SR5's over the years, and never paid more than $850 used, in 'like-new' condition.

'Custom'??? Bah, no way. He just had GC order the color he wanted . . .
  14. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    $1,500 is just waaaaayyy too... huh? what's that you say? someone else has already told you this...?

* slinks away *

Seriously... save your dough. I sold the finest SR5 I ever played last year for far less than that, and I'd had it heavily modified by the best guitar tech I've ever worked with (fortunately, it was highly improved bu the modifications, IMO): Basslines, Aggie preamp, vintage tone, customized wiring, etc. No way you should pony up that much...
  15. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Now this Stingray 5 owner....did he also have some magic beans?
  16. thank you all so much before I was ripped off
  17. kalle74

Aug 27, 2004

Tony Levin has a 3-string SR... :)
  18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, but it'll hold 5 if he'd just put 'em on ... nyuk nyuk nyuk.
  19. It's so hard to find a good used SR5...help!
  20. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    poman has an SR5 for sale right now here in the Classifieds.

I think it's on page 2 in the For Sale forum right now. He only wants $899 for it.