...opportunity to play madison sq garden

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Nov 28, 2002.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    got a call the other day from the son of a co-worker who works at msg. he wants to put together a concert, wants us to play and says it's simple - here's his plan:

he gets 10 local bands, they all sell 500 tickets at $50.00 each (but he needs all the money up front), and we all get to play the garden.

when i questioned how i was gonna sell 500 tix at $50 a pop, he claimed all we'd have to do is hype it by telling our fans that lots of industry people would be there - they'd all want to support us. they'd also be able to get great seats for $50 because it would be on a first come first serve basis.

if only i'd have realized it was that simple years ago.
  2. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    That smells fishy to me. He wants all his money up front ($25,000!!:eek: )??? As was said before: get it in writing. And get a lawyer to check it out before you sign!!!

If he pulls a fast one he'll get away with $250,000!!!!!!!!

Sgt. Hartman voice on:

"JESUS H. CHRIST!!!!!!!!"

Sgt. Hartman off.
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    perhaps this was misunderstood

he was serious :eek:

how many local bands do you know that can get 500 people to buy 500 tickets at $50 a piece - on their own :eek: :confused: :eek:

i think this is absurd

if i had 500 people coming to see the nerve! at $10 a pop at a local club, i think i'd be well on my way towards playing the garden without his help
  4. worst idea ever. i think i'd pay 50 bucks to see the pixies if they ever got back together, but that's it.
  5. i paid 50 bucks for slayer, but i wouldnt pay 50 bucks for a bunch of bunds i've probably never heard of in my life
  6. BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Welcome to the lovely world of Pay-To-Play. It's all the rage out here in Southern CA, especially so in LA and Hollywood. I'm sure it's instituted elsewhere but it seems like you can't even play the local club around here without having to sell a guerrenteed amount of tickets.

I would shine all over that. I have a hard time getting people to come to shows for free, let alone pay some absurdly high price to see my band (even if it was at MSG). And I don't know a blessed person that would pay that much to see a show from their local band just because there are going to be "industry" folk there.

Hell, I paid a little more then $50 to see Rush at Verizon. I ain't on par with Rush...yet. ;)