Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opportunity

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geardog, Feb 4, 2002.

1. I have an opportunity to have a 5 string bass built for me. The luthier told me to get the hardware, electronics, pickups and bridge. Then the sky's the limit on design.

My questions: Can anyone recommend *good* mid price ranged parts. I am getting a deal on the bass, and would like to keep it that way. I also want to stay with a J bass type setup. Suggestions?

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
  3. Thanks, I'll check those out. Do you have any favorites as far as pups go, keeping with the Jbass style and sound?

And just what is a *piezo* bridge?

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Well....there's always Fender Jazz pups. :D I have some faves but they aren't midpriced. This link to the Bass Player J pickup shootout may help you big time -
    http://www.bassplayer.com/z1999/9903/pickups.shtml

A piezo is a non-magnetic pickup that is mounted in, or is part of, a bridge. It uses crystals that vibrate and creates an electrical signal from the vibrations.

Just a personal opinion - I would only consider one for a fretless. For one thing, the original intent was to get the natural sound of a acoustic upright.

And, I've just seen too many comments by fretted bass players and luthiers about their "clackiness" and saying they don't even use them (turn the piezo's volume all the way down).