Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opposites: Revisited...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    That other thread... It was a moment of Cheech and Chong like wonder... But I guess I wasn't too far off... There are opposite scales, so you could say that the opposite of a 3rd in one scale is the other scales 3rd.

See what I am trying to understand here?

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Mike - Stop posting stoned. :scowl:

;)

What are you talking about? When you say there are oposite scales, what do you mean? Give an example of what you mean by this.

EDIT - I'm just guessing here, but I don't think you really mean oposite - I'm gussing that inversions or inverted or some form of that word have more to do with what you are trying to ask.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Alright...

During marching band/percussion ensemble, when the mallet coach is teaching them scales, she uses the term opposite.

For example, say the Bb scale only has two naturals... The B scale, which is opposite, will have all naturals but two sharps or flats... Ya dig?

And i do not partake in the intake of illicit substances.

4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

well the "opposite" of the major third is the minor sixth. if thats what u mean by opposite.

5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'll try to be more positive about it this time.

I don't see what you mean by opposite.
    A B flat which should have 2 flats, 5 naturals. The B will have 5 sharps and two naturals. So are looking for opposite in terms of naturals and accidentals? But if that is the case, then C will have no opposite since it has no flats or sharps.

I think you should talk to your band instructor about this. It could be a term that he/she uses, but isn't widely used by others.

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I know there is really no "opposite note" im just thinkin semi-philosophically here. And my band director hates me. and i him.

7. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Just curious. How did you derive this?

I'm not a music professor, but I have never heard of the term opposite in terms of scales or tones. Maybe in terms of hands or rhythms, but never in terms of scales.

Mike, maybe the band director is talking about opposites in term of beats. For example playing a snare on the 2&4, so the opposite could be playing it on the 1&3. I dunno

But even with this, the word opposite still seems vague.

8. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    jive1,

Say we're in the key of A minor. If you go up a minor 3rd, you hit C. If you go down a major 6th, you hit C. If these are opposites (and I'm not sure this is what Mike Money meant) then you can look at the scale tones in the following way:

---up / down---
    min 2nd / Maj 7th
    Maj 2nd / min 7th
    min 3rd / Maj 6th
    Maj 3rd / min 6th
    Perfect 4th / Perfect 5th
    #4th / dim 5th
    Perfect 5th / Perfect 4th
    etc.

If you look closely, these opposites all add up to the number 9. Also, if you go up a minor step to hit a certain note, you'll be going down a Major step to hit that note (an octave lower).

Again, I don't know if this is what Mike Money meant and I don't know how useful this information is, but this would be my interpretation of the meaning opposite.

9. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Alright at band practice, I asked each guy to play the "opposite" of what they were playing. The drummer changed the where he placed the accent on the measure and reworked his beat. The sax player played his phrase backwards. And the piano player looked at me and asked "What do you mean by opposite?"

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

She might be talking about the circle of fifths, which a very useful tool for learning keys and their relationships?

[​IMG]

As you can see, it is actually D - which is "sort of", on the opposite side of the circle from Bb (with 2 flats] not naturals) - which actually has two sharps, not B.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Oh and when you've 'digested' that - try this one :

[​IMG]

So - your teacher might have meant Bb Major with two flats is "opposite" B Minor with two sharps, on the circle of fifths..?