Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oprah's Next Big Career Move

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by malthumb, Sep 4, 2004.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Apparently, Oprah Winfrey decided to start training on her post talk show career :D :p :D

Oprah Makes Surprise Visit To GM Orion Plant
    The Daily Oakland Press

Sep 3, 2004

By CAROL HOPKINS

ORION TWP. - Without notifying media or local government officials, Oprah Winfrey dropped into the GM Orion Assembly plant Thursday afternoon for about 90 minutes.

"She wanted to tour the plant," said Mary Henige, communications director for Pontiac-GMC division.

She walked along the assembly line and watched the new mid-size Pontiac G6 sedans being built, Henige said.

Henige said Winfrey wanted to try what the workers were doing and that there was "a lot of laughing" going on.

Her visit comes close to the time Clarkston residents made a pitch to have her visit.

Donna Clancy, executive director of North Oakland SCAMP Funding Cooperation, stumbled upon the opportunity to invite Oprah to Clarkston while surfing Oprah.com. She saw that the talk show host wants to visit a charming small town, with fewer than 5,000 residents, for a show.

Clarkston has 927 residents.

To lure the show, 724 ninth-graders from Clarkston High School held up paper O's for a video camera, pleading, "Oprah, come to Clarkston!" City officials gave the same plea during a council meeting, while a woman at Randolph's Salon will receive a manicure, with O P R A H on her nails.

And, second- and third-graders got their moment in the spotlight when they asked, "How do you catch an Oprah?"

Upon hearing that Winfrey chose to make a stop in Orion Township, located just east of Clarkston, Marcy Rotondo, assistant to Clarkston's city manager, was disappointed.

"What happened?" she asked. "Maybe she didn't know we are close by."

Winfrey's production company spokeswoman was vague about why the Chicago-based TV talk show host was in town.

"She was just visiting Detroit," said Carly, who didn't give her last name. "She went to GM and to a Target."

Renee McClelland, a media relations employee at the Orion assembly plant, said Winfrey was very gracious. "Everyone is on Cloud Nine."

2. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Wait, what??? :confused:

3. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

For one thing, Clarkston has a lot more than 927 people. Probably shoulda been another digit in front of the "9". Also, in Michigan, there are school districts that overlap communities. Not all of the kids in Clarkston High live in Clarkston. Many I'm sure live in smaller surrounding communities not large enough to have their own separate school districts.

Peace,

James

4. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    This could be the setting for the next "Children of the Corn"

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Why are we talking about this?

6. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Because it's Off-Topic. And "we" don't necessarily "need" to talk about it.

Peace,

James

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I guess that's a good point. Perhaps I will whip up an equally inane thread. I haven't done that in a while; might be fun.

8. if i was her, id buy asia

9. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Guess I shoulda seen this one coming. Here's the "result" of Oprah's visit to the car assembly plant.

Everybody's a winner!!

Peace,

James

10. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Wow. There's already a news article about it. It was just on TV an hour ago.

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Including Oprah. GM bought the cars she gave away.
    Oprah always comes out on top. An admirable quality.

12. Why wood they give away 200 odd cars? there's gotta be a catch. Is it a tax riteoff for GM, anyway, Lucky baskerds! Might be seeing oprah in an up and comming GM commercial ;)