Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

optical output on MiniDisk

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Samie, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Is there a portable MiniDisk recorder that has a digital or toslink output. Most models I have seen have a digital input.

I want to record things on the Minidisk, and then burnthem onto CD in my Pc.

Thanks

2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Remember, MiniDisc players (that don't use special MiniDisc data discs) record in a lossy format. It's not as lossy as .mp3, but you prob want to do an a/b with a CD to see how much you lose.

3. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    ATRAC (Sony's name for the data compression in MDs) is 5:1.Another way to put it is that 80% of what you put into it never comes back out;but the really scary thing is that a lot of people that use 'em can't really hear the difference.

4. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I am aware of the loss of minidisk, but I would like some kind of portable device to record band practice and concerts. I dont want to further lose quality with a D/A A/D conversion into the Pc.

Is there really an alternative to such small portable recording devices? I can only think of a recording walkman, but of course this is much worse.

It is just to record with ambient stereo mini-mics, just to remember etc.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm *pretty sure* some of the new portable MDs have an optical out. Go check Minidisc.org for details.

I'm a major MD proponent. IMO they're the ideal replacement for cassette, not CD.