1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Optical Pedal Thing

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stefandisgust, Oct 12, 2009.

1. stefandisgust

stefandisgust

May 28, 2006
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Spector Basses-New Artist
    Hey guys,
    I bought a cool little box with a light sensor I intend to control with my foot or hand live. It is a "higher" pitched expression signal pretty much. The thing is that it only has an out.
    I obviously cannot run my bass through this thing... or can I?

I dont know whether to plug it into my 400+'s other input or other FX loop. I would hate to add in a A/B switch just to use this thing. None of my other pedals have Dual inputs.

I know how to get my new pedal "affected" by my other stompboxs but will I be able to get my bass through it without modding it?

2. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    If it's a photo-eye expression pedal, you have to plug it into an effect with an expression pedal control option--it doesn't do anything on its own.

3. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    And, it could be wired in stereo, just a thought.

4. Huh? ... me confused...

It to be used like knob on pedal by plugging into expression out. Not do things by itself

5. Hang on, so you bought it not knowing what it did?!

6. stefandisgust

stefandisgust

May 28, 2006
    Boston, Massachusetts
    No. I guess it is a "Photo Eye" its homemade stompbox with a switch for on and off and a volume knob. The sensor you control with a hand or foot. All you do to it is block light from reaching the sensor and change the pitch coming out.

How would I use it Stereo?

It works just fine but is there anyway to have my bass signal through this thing?

7. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    If you have an effect that has an expression pedal input, plug it into that.

If you don't have any effects that have expression pedal inputs, then you have no use for it.

8. Ok, sounds like some sort of optical theremin to me. It's a noise generator, there's no way it can effect your bass signal.

9. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego

You gave advice on it without knowing what it is?? ;) :p

Its a "Photo eye" expression pedal. Block the light going into the sensor and the 'pedal closes', shine a liight directly into it and the 'exp pedal opens/heel down"

Just an exp pedal. Won't do anything unless its plugged into an expression input.

10. I get the impression that it generates a sound. Hence why I drew the conclusion of it being some sort of optical theremin. I may well be wrong, I don't know. But, if it's creating a sound when you take the output to an amp, then it's not an expression pedal.

I don't know to be honest, just throwing guesses out there...

11. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Ah I see where you got that from; I bought mine from another forum, but I've also seen some on Devi Ever's site at one point called 'Peeps', and many of the demo's for those were with PS-3's; I think this is where the OP is getting confused about the 'pitch changing' when you block the light; its only changing pitch because its plugged into a pitch shifter.

12. Hmm...I don't know. I get the impression it's something like this. I made one a few months back which is why it rang a bell with me.

13. Getaway Driver

Getaway Driver

May 31, 2009
    Omaha, NE
    Devi Ever's Eye of God has a sensor in it like that, and i was under the impression there was a standalone expression pedal you could get from Devi too, but I'm not seeing it on the site.

14. stefandisgust

stefandisgust

May 28, 2006
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Therimen is exactly the word the guy said when I bought it! haha

15. stefandisgust

stefandisgust

May 28, 2006
    Boston, Massachusetts
    And that picture Gnasher posted is exactly what it is in another box!

16. plug it into your input then, but it won't work as an effect pedal on your bass signal, its an instrument by itself.

17. Can you post a pic? I think we're all confused! :help:

18. Hooray I was right ;). I thought so...it's an optical theremin.

I can confidently explain now :smug:. The output jack is mono, it isn't a TRS jack with some clever way of running your signal through it. It cannot effect your bass signal.

It's an independent instrument, a noise generator. Probably some sort of oscillator where the pitch is dependent on light. The volume knob controls the output level.

My guess is that the pedal uses a pair of LM555 timer chips.

I hope I've explained a bit more. For those who are still confused...watch this. In my opinion, he explains it pretty well. I'm GASing for one of those EF units now :crying:.