Optical pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TriplePowerMax, Feb 7, 2006.

1. TriplePowerMax

Jul 2, 2005
    Guys, where can i find in internet structure and principle of operation of optical pickup?
  2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

There are links to patent drawings here: http://www.opticalguitars.com/

I tried building a few systems way back when Ron Hoag first got writeups in the guitar magazines. The principles are fairly straightforward. Have fun!
  3. RaTTeR

RaTTeR Don't forget your towel!

Dec 25, 2005
    Riverside, Ca
  4. TriplePowerMax

Jul 2, 2005
    maybe someone know arcticle with electrical characteristics of optical pick up? Im interested in that pic up as a electrical device.
  5. TriplePowerMax

Jul 2, 2005
    indeed anyone don't know?
  6. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

This is talkbass not MIT :D . I've got a Lightwave and haven't got a clue. I play it, don't make it.

I would try a Tech University Library like MIT or CalPoly since their job is assisting with providing information. Dow/Corning, Lightwave Systems, and the like won't likely take the time and I wouldn't expect them too. A net surf for fiber optics and the like may turn up something of use.
  7. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    just wondering, will these basses make a sound if you wave your had infront of the pickup?
  8. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    No. There are optical sensors back inside the bridge (monoliths as they call them) that operate within a narrow range and sense motion of the strings. They won't make a sound any other bass wouldn't make under similar conditions except I've read that strobe lights can possibly trigger them inadvertantly though I've never experienced that.
  9. Audere

Audere Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 7, 2005
    South Beach, OR
    Owner: Audere Audio
    Not sure I should post this with the lead in above but

The Lightwave pickup appears to be constructed from an IR LED as the optical source combined with a photodiode with integrated IR filter used as the receiver.
  10. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

Not sure what Audere said but I'm guessing he knows what he's talking about.

What I do realize is that I didn't point out that you can't wave your hand in front of the pickup. It's not in the face of the bass like a mag pup. It's just a couple of small round sensors (pup screwhead size or smaller) that are located back in the hollow bridge pieces (monolith) for each string, so effectively in a tube. Kind of like and infrared beam enclosed in a small box - although there's no apparent light when you look back in the bridge.
  11. war_n_peace

Aug 9, 2006
  12. PaulNYC

Apr 2, 2009
    New York, NY
    i got paid for a gig once.
  13. bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009