1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

optima 24k bass strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, May 2, 2006.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    anyone try them?
    besides the price, what did you think?

i have bas acid hands which usually kill conventional uncoated strings pretty easily, and since they have stopped making my polyweb elixirs, i have to find some new stuff...

if these dont work, i am going to try denatured alcohol, i just wanna hear some reviews before i drop the money.

2. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    i remember seeing in super string bass player mag special them reviewing those strings. Or i think it was those strings. I don't remember what rating they recieved. It was the issue with a ton of strings on the front they rated a rediculous amount of strings.

3. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    I have the magazine right here.. it says "Warm bottom, sweet top, and complex mids". The little bar graph thingy says that the mids and treble are a bit more prominent than the bass, but they're all well-represented.

And in terms of feel, on a scale of coarse to smooth (coarse/medium course/medium/medium smooth/smooth), they rated them medium.

Hope that helps.

4. on my DP Custom 5 string fretless.

They have a very even sound across the set...very warm with (I like the phrase) "complex mids".

I think they really compliment the fretless fingerboard. The gold finish is still looking great and wearing well after 5 months.

Jay

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah i have that bass player, just thought maybe someone has played them before. i think i will try a set.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    My conklin came with them. I did like them, but they started to die, so I took them off. I may do an alcohol soak and play them some more.

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    how long before they died?