Optima (Maxima) Gold Strings!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tplyons, Mar 9, 2004.

1. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I got a set of these off a guy, brand new, my gauges perfect for $50 shipped, so I figured what the hell, slapped them on my Stingray and slapped that thing home. Can't comment on durability yet, but the tone is definately there. They seem a tad brighter than the steel's I've been using (Labella Hard Rockin' Steel and Rotosounds) and the feel is certainly more like nickel, but the look is phenominal!

Has anyone else tried these?
  2. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Yep! Got a set on my Alembic Orion and a set on my CIJ '75 Jazz, and two sets stashed.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hey, you're the one who turned me onto them! Thanks dude!
  4. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> I bought 10 sets for $150 a while back. They have a
    nice bright tone, and last a little bit longer than
    steel or nickel strings, but I don't think they're worth
    anywhere near the old list price of $70 or whatever
    it was. Apparently, the bass playing public seemed
    to agree, as Maxima no longer makes them.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, but the small public that does like them had been heard too. They're made under the name Optima now, but I just wish they were cheaper. Sounds like you got a helluva deal.
  6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I e-mailed Juststrings.com and they told me that the Optimas are out of print also. :bawl: If that's incorrect, please let me know, and also where to get them.

7. owned 2 sets and been amazed mainly by their playability.
    They ring like a bell, and one can see how evenly the string vibrates, positively affect the pitch and sustain.

Make them last 3 months are still big sounding and ringing but the pitch of the attack is finally fading.

BTW has anybody tried, compared the ELIXIRS nanoweb?
  8. Tbass66

Mar 15, 2002
    do they still make flats? anyone know where i can get some?
  9. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I just baught some off of ebay. I figured I'd try out a new brand, i'm not too fond with Ernie Ball and d'addario anymore.
  10. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    oh and I got the chrome plated roundwound not the golds. I wonder how it will sound. Do you guys have any opinions?
  11. Hi Denny,

i checked the Optima Chrome after the Gold, not enough body for the pickups of my bass, maybe good for someone affected by muddiness.

I bought them from this website at a good price http://saitenkatalog.de/catalog/
    (there is a minimum charge for delivery, they have a large assortment of brands)

The quest is never over, next will be the "studio version" of Rotosound the RS 55 solo.

How about you