Optimal bass for my requirments?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by leviathansage, Jan 18, 2004.

1. small green Hey, how is everyone.Ive been a long time fan of the "Bass tab archive" and I was wondering about buying a new bass , and I figure since this is a bass guitar forum, ill post this here.
    It seems that my Ibanez Gio... After only about 4 months of playing.. Has " run out of gas".
    Today, we had a show with my band ( a small paying gig ) , and out of all of the days, the bass decided to " die" on me.
    We looked into the "innerds" of the bass, to see what was wrong, and from that point on, it was ataxia.
    Basically, most of the small Black and White Cables inside the bass are disconnected from the " metal parts" of the bass, so when I plug the bass in,
    you dont hear anything ( Some times you hear a remotly light sound from the bass strings).
    Im wondering if this is something I should consider fixing... Or should I just basically give up and buy a new bass?
    Its an Ibanez Gio... I thought id try Ibanez because there good all around, and someone told me there good " metal" guitars and basses.
    Im looking forward to buying a Fender, what would you consider for someone whos aiming for the following?

- My influences include alot of guitar players, but of course, one of my favorite bassists being Steve Harris , and Cliff Burton.
    - I use(d) distortion on my bass, along with wah, in a guitar amp, like Cliff did, to pull off some cool bass solos.
    - Where trying to form an Experimental/Metal band, something that is not really tuned down, and I love the Scandinavian Guitar Sound. ( Its a tight, Distorted Sound).
    It gives it a little bit of the " Icicle , Wintery" sound that I always loved in Immortals classic recordings.
    - We right music based on riffs, and I do alot bass fills from Reggae and Ska.
    - I need something that can withstand some pressure, and is strong.
    - My band influences include: Iron Maiden, Metallica, Bob Marley, Faith No More, Immortal, gospel, metal , classical.

If you know anything thats in a proximity of my description, please post your thoughts.
    Also, im very tight with the money situation, if you can find anything thats cheaper then 300 bucks, that would be cool.
    I'm thinking of buying a 6 string , but the reasons why are the following:
    - I wouldnt really use the B String ( I rarely use the E string on the ibanez).
    - Its to expensive
    - It sounds a little " low endy".

Also if someone could tell me how I could possibly get my bass to sound like In Flames distortion or KillSwitch engages distortion,
    that would be killer.
    If you have any thoughts on this topic, of what a good bass is, please tell me.
    I have my sites aimed on the "Bronco" bass by squier.. It seems like a kids bass, but it seems great for what im trying to accomplish.
    Is Squier a good company, will the bass fall apart like my old ibanez did?
    Any constructive thoughts are welcome.
  2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    You need a Fender Precision. But since you can't afford one, how about an essex bass from www.rondomusic.com? Cheaper than Squier, but much better quality. Just whatever you do, don't get a Squier.
  3. naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    get a used fender if you can't manage a new one, but i wouldnt bother with a squier or whatever.
  4. Take it to a techie and get it rewired, not that big of a problem, can probably do it yourself and save money too.