Optimal storage temp.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by KnightFall, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Is it bad to store your strings in hot or cold conditions? What harm could possibly come out of leaving your bass strings in a car overnight? Or in your attic during the summer? Does humidity affect the situation?

2. I, myself wouldn't worry to much about string storage. I get my strings by the case. I leave them in my studio until I need a set. Never had any problems with heat or air conditioning doing anything to a set of string, still inside the package. Outside the package exposed to the elements.......yes I could see them rusting and maybe even becoming brittle if left in the sun or moisture for long periods of time!

If you are talking about your bass and hot or cold conditions, you bet there would be problems! Wood shrinks and contracts with weather changes and that's what causes problems.

If you are really concerned get a humidity gauge for your storage area, they cost just a few dollars. If it reads below 40%, buy a humidifier. That's the only way to control your storage conditions!

3. I would assume that a high humidity would corrode strings faster and thus cut their life, but I doubt it would really affect strings still in their packaging.