Optimal string type for new hybrid bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by FidgetStone, Feb 11, 2004.

1. FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I know that all strings sound differently on different individual basses and that "your results might vary". However, in three week's time the Helicore Hybrids have improved somewhat but still show few redeeming qualities.

Given that my new carved top bass that is still in the very early stages of "opening up", are their any general rules as to high or low tension strings helping a new bass sound older?

Also, my preference is a jazz pizz sound that is still not too scratchy for arco. Is there an Obligato-like string out there that doesn't self-destruct in short order?
  2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    You can slightly tune up or down your strings to see if it responds better to more or less tension.
    There are not many synthetic core strings around.
    Apart from the Obs, there are the Thomastik Dominants, Super-Sensitive Sensicores, Innovations (http://www.innovationstrings.com) and some Velvet sets, although I know very little about them.
    With steel strings, you have Pirastro Flatchromesteels, Pirastro Permanents, Corellis in tungsten and nickel sets, Thomastik Superflexibles (blue ends), Kolstein Varicors.
    As you can see there are several choices.
  3. I have Spiro weichs on my 4 year old Strunal hybrid. IMHO they have proven better than the Correllis, Obligatos, and Spiro mediums in pizz and arco (although it's mostly pizz). They take some getting used to for bowing, but once you get the feel they deliver a nice arco tone. As far as pizz goes, they're Spiros, enough said
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Dominants are very similar to Obligatos, but stiffer. They are equally, if not more, prone to the same issues as the Obligatos. IME, they sound a little richer bowed, but have a little darker pizz sound with a faster decay. In six months, I had two of them break off at the peg box.

If you can deal with a thinner string, I would look into the Corelli 370s. I have read many posts here and elsewhere about how easily they start with the bow while still having a little more bite and growl than a synthetic core string like the Obligato or Dominant. I know All Hail BG is quite fond of them.

I am very eager to try the 370Fs as well as a set of Jargars.

I have used Spirocores. I don't really care for them very much, but I do understand the appeal. I think they take a long time to play in.
  5. Just got a Corelli 370F G & D and while the D is OKAY , the G is nasty with the bow . Too scratchy. Excellant for pizz. though.
    (keep in mind that I use a fully laminated bass).