Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Optimism

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by nanook, Mar 15, 2003.

1. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    = a bass player with a beeper

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'd always heard that it was a trombonist with a beeper....

:p

:D

3. Ahh the man who called Jaco Pastorius a worthless Drug addict returns....

4. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I was wrong to say that, very insensitive on my part. He was not worthless and we all have our demons.

He was in fact brilliant.

5. Yes, Thank u very much. We all do have our demons and most great musicians are plagued with depression or other such diseases which cause them great brilliance in music but also are greatly troubled inside. And back then, we did not have the treatments and cures for depression like we do today. Maybe, just maybe If jaco could have been around longer he could have been treated properly, but in his treatment he may also lose his Awesome musical abilities. Depression is quite the double edge sword, Damn you Depression, damn you to hell.

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I need a beeper.

7. what?...................whats wrong with that?.......why are you people looking at me like that?.......they might need me you know!.....well they might.......

8. Wow i'm dumb i didn't even know Jaco was dead (embarrassed smily follows....)

9. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Most bass players don't need beepers, we have mobile phones. :D

What are you saying? Take a look in the clasifieds for musicians. Do you know what position seems to pop up most under "Musicians Wanted"? You got it bass! When you go to an open stage, what position is there the least of? Right again, bassist (or drummer). What instrument do you see in most contemporary ensembles? Yup, it's a bass (or drums).
    Now a beeper may be too much, but your joke implies that Bass players don't get gigs. On the contrary - we bass players get the gigs most often. It is the dime-a-dozen guitar players and wanna be singers that are looking for a job. One of my favorite things about playing bass is that I don't have to figure out what I'm gonna do on a Saturday night.

But if you're good at what you do, you'll get work. I'm sure the top rated Polka Tuba player in the world has a pager.

10. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Well stated.