1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Optimizing a guitar cab for bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowend1, Apr 18, 2010.

1. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    I have an older 1x15" cab that was probably designed for guitar. It is made of 3/4" plywood and is well-made, with ample internal bracing. Compared to bass cabs, it is relatively shallow, and the (removable) rear baffle has three rectangular ports - two small, and one large (similar to what you see on old Ampeg guitar combos). I have an Eminence Gamma 15A that I purchased specifically for this box (US Speaker took my dimensions, porting, etc - and made the recommendation based on that). The reason I'm pursuing this is that the cab is long enough to hold my old Ampeg V4B - and it's a relatively inexpensive experiment. Generally speaking, I'm looking for an old-school sound. What steps should I take, in what order, to optimize this thing for bass? Is insulating the interior a good place to start?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Therein lies the problem. The Gamma 15 is marginally suitable for bass, with a displacement limited power of less than 100 watts, and for best results it wants at least a 3 cubic foot cab. The power issue is moot with a V4, but with a cab that's too small response will be weak in the low end and boomy in the midbass. That pretty much equates to 'old school' sound anyway, so you may find it works for you, you can only try it to be sure.

3. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    if you've already got the driver, it doesn't take much to staple a little insulation in there, pop in the speaker and see if you like what you hear.