1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Option 5 Destination Rotation Single (Leslie Sim) SOUNDCLIPS

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mark Olson, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok got this pedal today so I did a few soundclips to share. These clips are recorded direct to a soundcard, no preamp or anything, so if the sound seems sterile, it's not the pedal's fault, I may do more clips in a more practical fashion at some point though, and I can't do clips with the overdrive on straight into the soundcard because my soundcard makes any overdrive effect instantly sound like crap. Anyways, here's the Option 5 Destination Rotation Single at a fast speed:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889952&songID=7538376

And then at a slow speed for a unique flangy/chorusy tone:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889952&songID=7538378

And a bit of a funky sound again using a fast speed:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889952&songID=7538381

So let me know what you think! I like it and I'm keeping it as I've discovered some really interesting tones with it today in combination with other things, but I don't think it's going to kick my Analogman Mini Chorus (Deep Mod) off my board; I only like to run one modulation pedal and the Analogman is a little better suited for some of the tones I need live.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    just as I imagined it would be... this IS going to find a home on my board ASAP.

Thanks for the clips!

3. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Sounds good. I like the Option 5 pedals that I've tried. Have not tried this one yet, but it is now on my need to try list.

4. Sounds good Mark. I'd really like to hear it with some drive before it. Also, could you do a clip using the ramp between the speeds? I really want to hear how it compares to the RT-20 (which I loved, and may end up rebuying some day).

5. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Always happy to do clips to share. I will try to do some clips with some drive when I can, the pedal actually has a nice overdrive on it designed to emulate the distortion of the tube amplifier on a Leslie cabinet. Also will do a clip of the ramping of the speeds both up and down. That's definitely a really cool feature of this pedal.

Also, I should mention these clips were recorded with an SX P Bass, all stock, and I used the pedal with the Mic Placement control rolled all the way down to simulate more distance between the cab and the mic... that is a very subtle control.

6. Sounds awesome!

Hoo-boy - and (after a quick search) expensive!

7. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Thanks! Yeah it is on the expensive side, but so far as I know it's the cheapest analog leslie sim out there.

I think the fast speed is where this pedal shines. Not saying it's a perfect imitation of a Leslie, but it comes a lot closer than any chorus or Uni-Vibe effect I've played at that speed. It gets nice and fast without getting too warbly.

8. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok so this pedal has been on loan to my brother for a little bit, but I should get it back from him and do some decent clips with a mic'ed amp, also with drive.

Also in is another Fulltone Bass-Drive Mosfet (that's Bass-Drive #4 for me) so I expect to get some new clips of that up, and we'll have to see if this one finally sticks. So far it seems to be doing the job I badly wanted my other Bass-Drives to do with my new different guitars and amps.

9. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    Mmmmm I like it too bad I can't buy it for specific needs...

10. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
  11. Sweet, thank you those clips Mark. The bassdrive is not my favorite for drive sounds, but it doesn't really matter. I just wanted to hear how the DR affects the drive harmonics.

The ramping clip was cool. Has some great psychadelic potential.

12. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Great clips, Mark! Thanks!!! GAS ignited...

Are any of those 'fast' clips with the rotary on the fastest setting?

13. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Thanks. It does have some cool potential with drive pedals, but I've really got to try some more of my drive pedals to see what I can get with it... there is drive available on the pedal, and it sounded fine with my SG bass, but really seemed to be lacking in the low end department with my Fender.

And the pedal can get faster, I didn't do any max speed soundclips... the slow speed was the maximum slow speed I believe, so there's room to slow that down, and I think I had the fast speed somewhere in the middle, so there's good room to either speed that up or slow it down. I'll have to see about doing a maximum speed clip when I get the chance...

14. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    You know it occured to me my brother has a rotating speaker cabinet just sitting around, would anyone be curious to hear clips of that to see how it compares to this pedal?

15. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Seriously? No one wants to hear soundclips of an actual rotating speaker cabinet?

16. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I'm on the hunt for leslie simulators in order to cover Heartbreaker... Nearest I have is a Small Stone, but it doesn't quite cut it. Going from cheap to expensive, I have the Danelectro Rocky Road, Line6 Roto Machine, and then this, the Option 5 Destination Rotation. I'm really leaning towards the latter, but it's expensive for something I won't use that often so I might be tempted by one of the cheaper options. The Dano has volume boost issues, but I could always rehouse it, mod the volume and make it true bypass... The Line6 pedals are also problematic on a daisy chain from what I hear and I'd rather not have another sucky buffer in my signal chain.

Has anyone else bought one of these that can offer an opinion? If anyone can record a clip playing Heartbreaker with this pedal then I might just be pushed to buy it!

17. I tried the Dano Rocky Road, and didn't really like it. It wasn't wooshy enough for me. Also, I'd really recommend adding the Boss RT-20 to your list. It really is a great leslie sim, it has a separate knob to control just about every parameter. I liked everything about it other than the built in overdrive (too honky for me). Plus, it has a wet/dry blend, which a lot of people around here are always looking for. And then it throws in a univibe sim as a cherry on top.

18. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    So, any loss of highs or lows with the Option 5?

19. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I've ordered one now, so I guess I'll see for myself!

20. Silver Hammer

Silver Hammer

Aug 17, 2006
    DO IT!