1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Option to Slinky, for 35" and trough-body - Help needed

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Piedro, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    Hi guys, i've recently bought a 55-94, i love the tone of the Slinky on it but i want strings that i'll be able to get them trough-body ..

i've tried D'addario long time ago but i just remember that they were kind of stiking to my fingers, if you know what i mean..

Guys told me about Ken smith, fodera, and d'addario.. what you think?

Thanks to help

PO

edit: what you guys think about the duration of the Lakland strings??

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    My Lull has a 35" scale and a through-body B-string. I have a set of Lakland nickel roundwounds on it right now. I like them a lot. To my ears the Lakland strings have a meatier sound, and they've retained their zing longer than the D'Addario XL's I'd been using.

At the suggestions of a few TBer's, I've bought a few sets of LaBella Slappers. But I haven't tried them yet.

3. The DR strings work great with 'thru the body' 35" scale instruments. I really like the Hi Beams... bright, very smooth on the fingers for SS string, and they last a long time for me. The tension is moderate.

The Lakland strings obviously work well also. The SS have a little too much upper mid honk in them for me, and are very tight tension IMO. I'm not a big fan of Nickels, but did use a set of Lakland Nickels on my 55-94 for a short while and thought they actually sounded better than the Lakland SS.... rounder sounding with less upper mid honk, smoother feel, etc.

I really like the DR's on that particular bass though.

4. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Ken Smith Bass Burners are a good string. Although the B is sort of average. But I do not recall the EB B being above average. Depending on you gauge, Ken Smith may be a better option than Lakland because Ken has more options and single B's are availabe at Just Strings.

Dave

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021