1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

options at guitar center?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by uethanian, Aug 27, 2007.

1. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    i've played only fretless (since i have only one bass) for the past year, and i feel that its time to finally get something fretted. i'm really missing not being able to slap.

well i have this dean pace upright, which i would love to get rid of, and i was thinking i could trade it in at the nearest guitar center. does anyone have any experience turning in used gear? do they offer cash, or is it only store credit?

so i'm hoping that when and if i go to sell the dean, i'll be able to pick up a new or used fretted BG. is there any advice for what basses to look out for? i basically want something that slaps well and doesnt weigh a lot. and probably something for under $300 (i doubt if i'd get even that much). mind you, i've only ever played a couple of basses, and while i can recognize a quality fretless, i dont really know how a good fretted bass should feel.

2. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    First of all DO NOT TRADE IN YOUR BASS. the wont give you **** for it. Post it for sale in the classifieds and be patient. It will sell.

Second, go in and play a couple of basses and figure out what you like and what feels good. Then go back to the classifieds and see if there is a used one for sale.

Or maybe post an ad for a trade for your dean fretless.

3. 88persuader

88persuader

Aug 5, 2007
    They'll take it on trade but will pay you half of what they think they can sell it for. If they can sell it for $500 you'll only get $250 on a trade so if you can sell it on your own you're better off. IF you want to trade and the bass you want has been in the store for a long time you MIGHT cut a better deal but it won't be easy ... you'll have to haggle a lot. So YES you can trade but you'll only get half the trade in value. An honest salesman will TELL you they'll only give you half of the trade in's worth ... to my knowledge that's industry standard.

4. YCBass

YCBass

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    I don't suggest trading in either... It's a rip. Try selling it online like the others suggested. That's your best bet.