Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Options for ~$1000?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JJd2sc, May 17, 2004.

1. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    I have been thinking about it, and I think im going to sell my Mesa 400. I use an Ampeg SVT 4x10 right now, and sometimes feel the need for more power/a 15 to round out my sound. I cant add one because the cab runs at 4 ohms, and thats the Mesa's lowest impedence. I really like tube amps, and love the tube tone/power can you get. What are some good options (preferably tubed, maybe not) for a thousand or less?
    Needs to be over 400 watts, 2 ohm option, and can be used.

Edit : Also a good power/pre setup would be cool to look in to...

2. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Nope man, 400+ has that 2 ohm option I need, but not my 400. Did the research before I bought it but didnt think about it too much... I also might consider a good power/pre setup...

3. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    You can buy my QSC RMX 1850HD power amp for $350 then add preamp of your choice. You said you preferred tube but maybe not.

RMX 1850HD can put out 1800 watts bridged mono into 4 ohms or do 600 watts stereo into a 4 ohm load. Also having a stereo/parallel amp allows you to add another 4 ohm load with no problem. So you could add a 4 ohm/8ohm 1x15 with no problem and put 600 watts into both cabs.

4. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Whats the difference between mono and stereo in this instance?

5. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    basically the amp is two power amps in one. you can run them together into one cab (bridged) or just run one side of the amp (stereo/parallel). stereo is for when you have two inputs coming in and both channels going out. Parallel is for when you have one source going in and two sources going out. However if you only have one input (preamp) and one output (one cab) you can use either stereo or parallel and it will be the same. When you add that 1x15 you would want the parallel setting because you have one preamp signal and two cab signals.

Think of it like this. Stereo is two parallel lines "=" where as Parallel is a "Y".

This particular amp is actually designed to take 2 ohms loads per side (1850HD stands for 1850 Heavy Duty).

With the remaining $650 you can get a real nice tube preamp.

6. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Any suggestions on tube preamps? Btw thanks a lot so far man, im really leaning towards this!

7. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    No problem. I had learn all of this as well when I started getting into pre/power setups.

As far as tube preamps there are a LOT! It really depends on what kind of sound you are after.

Check out www.basstasters.com for a lot of sound samples.

Ampeg has the SVP-Pro, SVP-Billy Sheehan, and new SVP-CL (which is supposed to replicate the vintage SVT circuit perfectly)

You might be able to pick up a used Aguilar DB659 which is a great tube pre. You have to find one used though.

I have also heard good things about the Demeter and Kern preamps which can be found used in this price range.

Also check out the Alembic F1-X, Ashdown RPM-1, and Eden Navigator.

The good thing about pre/power setups is that if you want to change your amp sound all you have to do is switch out the preamp for the one more to your likely rather than the entire amp.

I personally use a BBE BMax solid state preamp and love it. BBE also has a tube preamp called the BMax-t (both of these can be heard at Basstasters). The BMax-t also has a Jensen XLR DI out which is one of the best in the business.

8. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    The pre/power deal might work for some folks, but too much to obsess over in my case. Plus, it is very difficult to audition a bunch of pre-amps unless you live by Bass NW or Austin Bass Traders, etc. I went with an Eden WT-550 which puts out 500W at 4 ohms and 620W at 2 ohms. You can easily get one for under a grand. One small, lightweight integrated head is all I need to carry around.

9. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    good points Woodboy. Where are you located JJ? If you dont have a decent shop around you then it may not be the best bet.

I have a local shop that always has a bunch of different preamps in stock that I have access too. I may be a lucky one though.

I have noticed that alot of the reviews here on Talkbass on preamps are pretty accurate on sound/reliability/features. I personally would have no problem buying a preamp based on reviews here at TB combined with soundclips at basstasters. But everyone is different.

**Just noticed you are in Marrietta. Im sure there are some good shops in the Atlanta area. There was a shop in Atlanta that is bass only and fairly mid-high end gear. I cant remember the name of it now though..

10. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    Hey, i dont know if this is the place your talking about, but check it out:
    http://www.bassatlanta.com/
    Im a huge fan of the eden navigator, but check out the reviews and basstasters.com

good luck with your search

11. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    yeah thats the one, thanks Murph!

12. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    im here to help....
    and get more posts on the counter...

13. yoss

yoss

Oct 1, 2003
    I just completed the deal! That amp will be at my doorstep in a week or so! A brand new, never opened, sitting in a closet for a month, 2004 Mesa 400+ for $1000 shipped! I'm pretty stoked! I was wavering between an SVT-CL and the 400+, and after much forum browsing, I figured this was a pretty sweet deal, so I jumped on it!

By the way, I actually saw this amp the other day. It was at $1200 then, but I guess no one was biting at that price.