1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Options for 36" scale 5 and 6 string basses?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cosmicevan, Jul 21, 2007.

1. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    I've tried using the search, but 36" gets no results and long scale gets a million results. What are my string options for my 36" scale instruments?

I've been using LaBella's since they seem to be one of the few out there that make 6 string sets, but now I have 2 5'ers that have a 36" scale as well (one is fretless). I'd love to try some other sets with all of these instruments to find out what works best for each.

Any and all suggestions/info is more than appreciated! Thanks!

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
  3. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    i usually play 34 but my strings are always way way long, so i wouldnt imagine there would be that much of a problem.

btw i play optima golds, long scale

4. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Ken Smiths will work. GHS in Long Scale Plus will work as well.

5. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    I've had problems with the threading of some long scale (LaBellas) being so long that they actually cross the nut and dip a bit into the first position. It's also nice when you can get a few wraps at each tuning peg so it holds tune better.

The LaBella's aren't bad. I really dig the way that they vibe with my 6 string Mørch and my Acacia Custom 5 (both which have extremely versatile pre-amp/tonal shaping options), but I just got a fretless Mørch and I think that these strings may have too much of that stainless steal tingy sound for the fretless. Looking at the fretless, I can also tell that it currently has different strings which have no thread on them and they fit the bass really well. The current strings are not tapered, no thread or colored ball bearings, round wound, possibly nickel(?).

6. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I believe D'Addario and Rotosound make long scale strings as well.

7. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal

You'll want the D'Ad "super long scale " sets-I use 'em on a 37" Dingwall.

8. dblbass

dblbass Commercial User

Mar 24, 2007
    Beacon, NY
    Owner of MBJ guitars, Maker of fine sawdust for Carl Thompson Guitars
    carl thompson makes 36" scale strings. I bought a 4 string set of his strings and they are awesome. Check them out.

9. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    are any of these 6 string sets? i haven't had problem finding long scale sets, it is the 6 string sets in long scale that seem to be hard to find. i've searched out many of the suggestions to find that 6 string sets aren't available. i'll check out the others that i haven't checked yet to see, but thus far...still looking for something (although, it looks like Ken Smith may have a few sets that are usable).