Options for a sub 50 watt ALL tube head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Marikk, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Title says it all. I'm in the market for a preferably 30 watt or under all tube bass head. I'm in Canada so it's tough going. The used market is dismal and no one really wants to cross border ship. So I'm pretty much left with new retail. So far all I've been able to find is an Ampeg 20w head, which would work but I'd like to know what else may be out there.

2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Ashdown 30 watt Little Bastard. Fender Bassman 100T and run it in the 25 watt mode.

Pick a front end you like and built an amp yourself, or have it built. Would be no problem to use a single power tube for 20-25 watt output.

Tbone76 likes this.
  3. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Looks like the current iteration of that Ashdown "Little Bastard" is now designated as the "CTM-30", available in tweed (possibly also darker tolex) and even a British-made anniversary model.

I'm using an old Traynor Bass-Mate which is fun and fits your lower wattage criteria, but I just ordered one of those Ampeg PF-50T which I hope will be a little more practical all-round.

Tbone76 and RaggaDruida like this.
  4. My question is this, what is your ultimate goal for this amp?

5. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    If your market is limited, maybe expand your search to under 50 watt tube heads in general (intended for guitar or PA or such)... as long as you run the amp through a dedicated bass cabinet, of course.

nomeX likes this.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    There's always the B-15.

SJan3, bobyoung53, Tbone76 and 8 others like this.
  7. nomeX

nomeX

Nov 26, 2011
    H-Town
    Canada? Aren't you guys supposed to be swimming in Traynor YBA1's? Sub 50 watt all tube usually leads me to vintage (got a Guild Maverick Bass Combo and a Multivox Bass Combo) or the rack path, with a Tube pre and a Tube power amp. For me that's a Peavey Max and a Peavey Classic 60/60. Do you want a combo or a head/cab setup? Like CL400Peavey asked, what are your goals for this amp? You could always run a guitar amp into a bass cab. I see plenty of used sub 50 watt all tube guitar heads.

Tbone76, BadExample and Fishheadjoe like this.
  8. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    fender bassman
    ampeg b15
    guild thunderbass or thunderstar
    traynor bassmate yba-1
    sunn 100s

Tbone76 likes this.
  9. There's got to be an old Traynor head somewhere in New Brunswick for sale used? Pawn shop or the like?
    Fishheadjoe

nomeX and BadExample like this.
  10. This will be my at home / Small jamming type thing. I have an Ampeg V4b if i need more power, plus a few solid state amps. I just want something smaller with less output

No luck yet, I visit Moncton, Fredericton and Saint John frequently for work and family and havent had any luck yet

11. Then you can get away with any tube amp out there. Find a VHT special 6 for $100.

12. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    You're in Canada? Traynor! Even better, grab a vintage Traynor for relative peanuts -- YBA1 is ~45W, Bass Mate is ~20 W.

There's a Voicemaster at Pauls Boutique for $400, could be modded easily to a bass head.
    Traynor Voice Master | Paul's Boutique

Capsule had a couple of old Traynors last time I looked too.
    Traynor Bassmate

Heads up: Traynor YBA-1 1968 Walnut | Robin's Gear Locker

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    RaggaDruida likes this.
  13. Manticore

Manticore

Feb 27, 2016
    SoCal
    Matchless Thunderman... ;)
    amp-thunderman-01.jpg

Marikk and bonin in the boneyard like this.
  14. bushbass

bushbass

Nov 6, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I'd browse Kijiji for old Traynors, never played one but have heard lots of good things about them

15. Some light reading for you: Low-Wattage Tubesters Official Club

Small tube amps are crazy fun. I've owned an Ashdown LB-30 and currently have an Ashdown CTM-15 and an Ampeg PF-20t. I'm GASing hard for one of the new Fender Bassman 100ts.

The Ampegs (and Fender) have a post-power DI with silent record. I love this feature. When the family goes to sleep, you can unplug your cab, crank the volume, and listen to delicious tube saturation in your headphones via a personal monitor.

Since you're up north, I've heard more than one person say that the Traynor Darkhorse is adequate for bass. Plus it's just cool looking.

Tbone76 and RaggaDruida like this.
  16. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Not only do you have Traynors in the used market up there, you have Garnets!

Keep your eyes peeled for an old 6V6-powered Garnet bass head. Nice stuff.

17. I can't be the only one who thinks the modern Super Champ sounds great on bass. I use it more than the Studio Bass for its break up ability. The clean Bassman setting sounds real to me.

Don't shoot me for grill cloth going the wrong direction on th SB. It is the previous owner's mistake which I've yet to fix.

tmp_23713-20170808_184638-669183864.jpg

Tbone76 and nomeX like this.
  18. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    It's 50w, so technically not sub 50, but I'm a huge fan of my PF-50t.

JimmyM and Mastermold like this.
  19. madmanmerc

madmanmerc

May 11, 2015
    Do yourself a favor and go buy an ampeg pf50t. You can get it at long and macquade. If they dont have one they will order it for you. They should let you try it before you buy. There is also the pf20t, but i didnt find it loud enough for my needs

20. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    I have wondered if a chintech geetar amp could work for bass if fed from a bass preamp to effects in on the tube amp. Thots?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021