1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Options for brightest tone with the listed components.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by danielfnj96, Mar 13, 2013.

1. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

Jan 29, 2012
    NJ, USA
    Ok so i'm modding my sr300 to be passive and i have two 250k pots, two 500k pots, a 3 way switch, and an 0.047uf orange drop capacitor. I was originally going to put in the two 500k pots, the 3 way switch, and the cap but the switch needs to have the hole drilled out to fit it. So id like to avoid that if there's a way to get a tone that will be as bright or close enough that i wont notice much in comparison to my original plan (i tested it before putting in the parts). I need to be able to control which pickup is on (neck, bridge, or both) and i am not sacrificing the tone pot, so how should i wire this up? If there is no way to get a nice bright tone without putting in the switch ill do it but id prefer not to. So if you have any feedback id be happy to hear it.

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Brightest tone: pickup -> jack.

Brightest tone while retaining pickup selection: pickups -> switch -> jack.

Brightest tone while retaining pickup selection and tone pot: pickups -> switch -> tone -> jack (but a no-load tone pot will be brighter).

Brightest tone while retaining pickup selection and tone pot, without hole enlargement: pickups -> rotary or mini switch -> tone -> jack.

The rotary switch would also allow a "kill" position.

3. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

Jan 29, 2012
    NJ, USA
    Yeah a rotary switch wont fit in the cavity but making the hole bigger for the switch i have is tempting...

4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Sounds like you need an on/on/on mini switch, then. They're not expensive. StewMac has them here.

5. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

Jan 29, 2012
    NJ, USA
    Thanks for the advice but i just got the Les Paul style switch in and it looks like it should be smooth sailing from now on.