Options for finding Used Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by noeinstein, Mar 26, 2019.

1. noeinstein

noeinstein Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Other than TB classifieds, Reverb, Craigslist, or eBay, are there any other sites you comb through for deals on used basses?

EatS1stBassist and Pbassmanca like this.
  2. kbraker510

kbraker510 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Shopgoodwill.com

3. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Facebook marketplace. People seem to use that more than CL these days

4. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Guitar center used bass
    Got some great deals...they don’t always know what they’re selling plus having the item shipped to the store location closest to you rather to your home is a great option
    Music go round.
    Music 123 open box

5. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    GC used I've bought a lot that way, nation wide search have it shipped to your local store (it's the cheapest shipping) 45 day returns ... latest find a Peavey T45.

6. noeinstein

Sep 3, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks, def news to me.

Frankie Fender likes this.
  7. Rib 13

Rib 13

Jun 20, 2006
    Home
    Garage Sales....you have to go early and go often.....about once a year you will find something worth the wait

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  8. noeinstein

Sep 3, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    This might be a little labor-intensive for me ;)

Dan Pomykalski likes this.
  9. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Music Go Round is my No.1
    One in Stockton.
    One in Elk Grove.
    (I don't know which is closer to you)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  10. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    No kidding and I seriously doubt you find something worth having once per year. Maybe you find a bass once per year...if you are lucky.

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Local sales apps like 5miles, Letgo, Offerup.

12. bhendrix

bhendrix

May 2, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Never occurred to me to check out goodwill, but by gosh they got quite an inventory. Most appear to be more budget lines, but they give you all kinds of good pics and it's a bidding system. I'll have to put this on "puter rotation" - just may find a steal there someday.
    Thanks for mentioning this! :thumbsup:

13. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

On line mgr

14. ahadl2500

ahadl2500 Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    Not really a website, but local auction houses. They typically post photos of items online before the auction (I guess that part is a website). People who go to auctions (at least around here) rarely know anything about music equipment (unless they are selling a ton of it at the same auction). Have bought several items over the years this way. Best deal was when I bought an Ampeg B2R for $6. The downside of auction houses is that I have also seen clueless people pay way too much for music equipment over the years. Particularly around tax refund season... crazy how that works.

15. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    Facebook's version of classifieds has had some great deals on amps, but "wishful thinking" high prices for basses. Not sure why. My #1 is the Guitar Center online used section. 7 out of the 10 basses I currently own came from there. 3 out of 4 heads. 4 out of 6 cabs.

The shipping's not bad, and if you get a dud, well, it's still way cheaper than renting and you've got 45 days to return it to the store.

noeinstein likes this.
  16. dalkowski

dalkowski It's "rout," not "route." Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    That's how I got my Allen Woody. It was like new.

17. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    I pretty much hold myself to TB, GC and Reverb. Otherwise, for the type of things I’m mainly interested in buying these days, I go through Elderly and Norm’s.

And boy do I ever miss Manny’s in NYC. :crying::(:banghead:

MYLOWFREQ, noeinstein and rmayer like this.
  18. Krizz

Krizz

May 26, 2018
    Columbus, OH
    Along those lines, might want to look for a online auction site in your local area. We have a couple here that conglomerate anywhere from two or 3 to 15 auctions a night. The only real drawback to them, is you have to go the night before the auction to the pick up site if you want to view the item in person. I picked up a brand new Yamaha BB 425X for $100, turned out the bridge pick up doesn't work, I'm still trying to get that sorted, but the neck pick up on it is just glorious sounding. The nice thing is you can just search for bass or guitar off the main page of the auction site and it'll give you the results for all the auctions that are listed, easy to check and see if there's anything worthwhile keeping an eye on.

19. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    I have a local pawn shop with which I am friendly... ;)

Maxdusty likes this.
  20. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Yes. Pawn shops are sometimes good places to check.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022