options for my new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by kderick, May 28, 2004.

1. kderick

Apr 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    :help: I am about to buy a chrissy bass from a luthier here in Orlando but I got a questio or two from the wonderful minds here inTB. The bass currently does not have an adjustible bridge. It will cost me more for it so I am trying to figure out if it if worth it. Should I go for it? Also, is $2k for a 200 series Chrissy worth going for? I've seen Chrissy hybrids for $2k online. Though that does not include set up. I also intend on going to bluegrass festivals to pick. Are hybrids okay outdoors? I know that bringing a carved bass to a festivals is a sin, but hybrids? I need some help bad. Does anyone have help for this ignorant college student? Otherwise I might have to leave the dark side out of spite ;) Sorry about this rant but I am getting a bit desprite. Thanks, Kenny
  2. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    No adjustable bridge on the Christopher sounds weird to me, because I was under the impression that they're shipped with adjusters. Mine did, anyway, and their website and catalogue shows them all that way.

The 200 series has a spruce top, which is solid wood, but is probably formed, not carved. IMO, $2000 sounds like a fair price for a 300 hybrid. I got mine for under that, but I knew a guy who knew a guy.... Does the one you're looking at at least come with a bag? I would also try to convice the guy to throw in an adjustable bridge.

The top on the 300 can crack due to disparate conditions in heat and humidity, so more care and caution is needed than with a ply. Be careful about letting it get too dry, or going too quickly between cold and hot. There's a bunch of this type of info in the newbie links. I've never been to a bluegrass fest, but I would think that the hybrid should do just fine as long as you give it he proper paint job and decals :p

Good luck and scout the newbie links -- you'll find all the goods you need there!
  3. My understanding is as follows:
    1. The factory bridge comes with adjusters.
    2. The 200 series is all plywood (laminate) with the top layer of the top being spruce.
    3. David Gage has sold them for $2k, including setup w/ fb dressing.
    4. Shank Strings qoted me $1600, set up, w/bag.

How much more is your guy asking for the setup work?
  4. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Bo Derek -- maybe that's just the way the market is in Orlando, but I'm not gettin' a warm fuzzy about the deal you're talking about. ALL Christopher basses ship with an adjustable bridge. $2K with NO setup? That's a full C-note OVER manufacturer list price. Maybe the luthier you're talkin' about can sense the desperation you mentioned... :meh: Consider checking out some other shops for comparison.
  5. azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    I had a quote of $1,600 on a 200 series and $1,850 on a 300 series (hybrid). If you need a good connection for a qoute email or PM me and I will give you a contact person.

6. kderick

Apr 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    The bridge currently on the bass was made my the luthier himself. 2k dos include the set up. He did set it up for me to hear. Though I have been looking around town for an old used bass for the last wo weeks since I tried it out.
  7. kderick

Apr 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I still am looking for the answer to my main question. What is the signicigant advantage to an adujstible bridge. I look on the newbie links and could not find an answer. Can any of you brilliant individuals help me out?
  8. Richard J. Naim

Richard J. Naim Banned

May 29, 2004
    Detroit, Michigan
    A string must be bent to contact the fret or fingerboard. Different strings need to be bent different amounts to make contact. The same string needs to be bent different amounts depending where you are on the fretboard. Starting to get the picture? A guitar, like a piano, is never PERFECTLY! in tune.
  9. Richard J. Naim

Richard J. Naim Banned

May 29, 2004
    Detroit, Michigan
    A moderator has edited this post to remove advertisements.

Please review "The Rules" in the For Sale topic.
  10. Richard,

First of all, welcome to TB. Secondly, please bear in mind this thread is on the Double Bass side, not the bass guitar side. In general plugging of products is usually frowned upon (atleast on this side.) If you have something to offer a fellow member, PM them. Sorry if that came off a little cold

- An adjustable bridge allows the player to adjust the action of the bass in order to accommodate different playing preferences, and/or compensate for the expansion and contraction of the instrument due to changes in humidity.

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    With all due respect, try watching where you are posting (Your bridge is useless to a double bassist), then reading the forum rules as regards Spam. In looking at your post count, I see 10 posts at this moment. Upon reviewing them, I see that they are all spam posts for your product. This is not the way we do things here. Please read the forum rules and try again.