Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

options for pre-amps

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Jan 12, 2002.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i decided i have a little xmas money still around and i want to put a new pre-amp in my spector..probably. I was thinkin maybe a U-retro, but then i saw the price:eek: and that i'd have to route a few more switches in there. What would be a good 2 band pre-amp for my spector?? I have about $150 to spend on it. Does anyone have any they want to sell or good ideas for it? Thanks for the info in advance.

2. What is in there currently, an EMG BTC?

3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    um i'm not really sure, i think the pickups are some sort of passive EMG, but i dont think its the HZ's, it was before them, it has a PJ setup in it. The preamp is the original so i'm kinda asssuming its sumthing made by spector.

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
  5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    flatwound that site is awesome thanks alot. The only prob is prices. Would someone be able to give me an idea of the prices?

6. The Bartolini preamps vary in price from about $140-$200 depending on the model. That is the list. so you could probably knock about 20-25% off of that to get the retail. If you go to www.bartolini.net, you can download the catalog and the price list so you can get more specifics, but you should be able to get a 3-band for close to $150.

Don't know a thing about the others, I only use Barts.

Geoff

7. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Agulairs are popular around here. You could check those out. I think Nino has one in his Spector.

8. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    tumbao thanks for the offer, Does it have 4 pots or 3? I think i need 4 but we'll see what we can work out.

9. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    k thanks for all the advice guys. I had to put the money into a new lacrosse helmet unfortunately. i had 3 concussions last year so time for sum new gear. When i get sum money i wanna throw down on a new preamp though.

10. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Sadowsky. I once played The 24 fret 5 string and it was one of the best, if not the best active bass i had ever heard!!