1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Options for repairing or replacing vintage pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gjbassist, Oct 19, 2013.

1. I have a Cortez Jazz bass made in the early to mid 70's. It's basically a Fender knock off and looks like the Geddy Lee Jazz. The bass has really grown on me and has that well worn yet comfortable feel. I love how it plays and sounds except that the pickups are noisy and don't have as much output as my other basses. I could live with the lower output but the hum is starting to bug me. Unfortunately I can't just swap out the pickups because they are not standard Fender shaped jazz pickups. The ends of the pickups are rounded instead of squared off. There is shielding in the cavities but it doesn't seem to be helping much. What are my options for having the pickups repaired? Can I have them rewound? Will that take care of the hum? Any recommendations for who to send them to?

2. Anyone?

3. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Having those pickups re-wound won't fix the hum; it's a problem inherent in all single coil pickups. Those pickups look to be very close to the standard J shape & size, I'll bet you could get a replacement J-pup to fit under those covers with some careful trimming/shaping of the corners with a file or dremel tool.

Having the pickups re-wound could increase the output, but that will change the tone too. If hum is starting to be a problem I would check the grounds and shielding with an ohm meter.