Options for replacement tuners

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by slappahdabass, May 6, 2018.

1. slappahdabass

slappahdabass Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    So I have a large 7/8s Gofriller patterned bass that currently has Rubner hatpeg tuners cut down for extension access. They are creaky, they slip, and the string struggles to find traction around the wood post. Do you guys have any non-Sloane suggestions for a new set of pegs?

2. I know it's not what you want to hear, but what do you think would happen if you wind your strings the same way on a brass peg?
    I think you do something wrong or at least unsuitable to your situation the way you wind your strings. You should at least wind a string one time over previous windings on the peg to fix them.
    I usually wind first away from the nut slot, then with one winding or less across over to the other side of the peg hole and then a few windings towards the pegbox side. That way you do not need to shorten strings, fix the string to the peg and have only a few windings to stretch on the peg.

Selim likes this.
  3. slappahdabass

Feb 16, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    The problem is the large diameter of the pegs combined with the large length of the bass leaving very few windings around the post. I realize new pegs will not solve this problem entirely, but I'm really just hoping to reduce the number of problems in total (creaking, slipping of the post itself, low and clunky ratio). And if a smaller diameter post gives me an extra half a wind, that's half a wind's worth of extra friction to hold the string in place.

4. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Have you checked your tailgut length? That might not be something you want to change, but lengthening it would give a bit more length at the tuners. Have you pulled the pegs, soaped them, and checked the fit in the pegbox holes? Soap or parrafin usually helps, but it's usually also down to a bad fit. If the holes are in bad shape, you might consider re-reaming them and having new pegs cut. You could have the new pegs made thinner in the middle to give you a bit more wrapping length.

5. slappahdabass

Feb 16, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    That's a really solid idea. Didn't think about that. What does the soap do? Just coat the peg a bit?
    Don't really want to change the afterlength because I spent some time getting it in tune to eliminate wolf tones. Seems like voodoo but my bass has never been more dynamic or resonant.

6. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Why the Sloan fears? I don't know anyone who had a set properly installed by a professional and then decided to go back to the p.o.s. worn out sloppy frustrating ones they took off.....

Get a set of Sloans and your wallet will feel bad the day of the purchase but you will eliminate all of your complaints for the rest of your life. Keep wasting time with less than ideal functioning machines and you'll spend the rest of your life dissatisfied and in the end likely spend many times more than the cost of Sloans in multiple mediocre changes....

robobass and Max George like this.
  7. slappahdabass

Feb 16, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    I can't afford to bush the whole pegbox AND purchase the Sloanes. The current holes in the scroll will all need to be filled and redrilled since they're enormous to accommodate the ebony pegs, and with the cost of the Sloanes themselves, that's quite a financial stretch presently. My thinking with this post was to find a cheaper set that would both be an upgrade and give me some extra cash for the install. However, shaping the pegs down isn't a bad idea like robobass suggested.

8. I got a set of Sloanes new in the box for $300 in the classifieds. Lurk and wait.

Soaping your existing pegs is the same as lubricating the grease joints in the suspension of your car. It allows things to slide rather than build and release tension, causing premature wear. If the pegs are shot, have new ones turned to replace them.

Your string slippage issues should be cureable by proper winding. Feed half of the silked end through the roller, double it back on itself and wrap like you are making a braid with two plaits, then wind.

9. My luthier greased my wooden pegs with soap/stearin/wax, and after years, I was suddenly able to perform a more precise, hasselfree tuning. And agree with the twisting the end of the string a couple of times around the incomming string after threading/before tuning up. That way, I do not actually feel I need many windings on the peg.

10. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    I suppose it will all come down to how much it will cost to get someone to make you a set of pegs.

11. Yah, that twist the string around itself would be the next thing I would have tried. That's the Velvet way of mounting their strings.

I also have added straps to some of my strings because the strings were too short for my big 5-string. I have some postings about that here on Talkbass:

String too short ...

Double bass string uncoiled

Just remember that the core must be gripped, the windings might get moved off the string if the friction is not high enough to couple them to the core. On the silk portion about an inch away from the string end is the best place to mount the strap in my experience.

12. Rather than using soap to lubricate perhaps try squeezing graphite powder (a dry lubricant that comes in a small puff pack) into the gap between the pegs and each peg box hole. You can also use a soft lead pencil on both surfaces if the machine is removed (one machine at a time). Repeating what others have said above the simplest way to secure the string is to push its braided end through the hole in the peg then twist the end back around the string at least three times (I use four) before tensioning. I hold onto the twisted string until the twists won't unravel.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    Povl Carstensen likes this.
  13. wathaet

wathaet

May 27, 2007
    My Hill has wood posts and was creaking badly. Tuners are pretty unique so they need to stay.
    I finally fixed it by rubbing a candlestick against the wood. I was convinced it was not enough, but it has been working very well since. All I got was a tiny amount of powder from the candle, but that is all that was needed.
    Incidentally, this particular string tended to go out of tune faster than the others regardless of strings. This is also gone now. It must have been binding slightly and releasing while playing.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Max George, gnypp45 and Phil Rowan like this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021