Options needed for High Res portable player for AUX in Bass Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Badwater, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    I'm in search of a portable High Resolution player for the AUX IN on a Warwick BC20 Bass amp. Thus, I want to get a decent portable High Res player that can play WAV format. The music content will be from my DAW digital recordings in WAV format. And I'll be using it in other audio devices that have the AUX inputs.

I considered, mp3, and it works fine with the Bass Amp. But my DAW exports in uncompressed files like WAV (no mp3), and it's a hassle to convert each file to mp3. And, I'd like to keep the higher resolution files for sampling or export on other audio devices.

The features I seek in order:
    1) WAV format (windows 7 OS).
    2) Simple drag and drop files on to device or memory card. No proprietary software.
    3) Battery life better than 10hrs.
    4) Price under $200 USD.

So far I've looked at
    Fiio x1 (2nd gen): which seems good.

Anyone have suggestions for Samsung, Creative Labs, or other brands?

2. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    a cell phone

Axstar, gfour, uusak and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Why not just use your DAW?

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    The iPod can play .wav files but you need to convert (or maintain) the wav format in iTunes or however you manage your file/playlist structure.

Element Zero likes this.
  5. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Thanks, I've done that for a while, and just played along with the WAV files on the desk top PC. But I'm looking for something more portable. Where I can take along with me when I use my bass amp.

6. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Pono player can support wav files as well as other high res files. The ecosystem isn't perfect but you can do your own file management, or work with a tool like JRiver. The fidelity is excellent.

7. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Thanks.
    Yes, that's why I prefer the feature of dragging and dropping the WAV files on to a SD or Micro SD memory card for fast easy portability as well as easy transfer to other DAWs and other audio devices. I've used ipods, and sony in the past and their proprietary software limits my distribution options.

8. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Yes, that is exactly the kind of player I'm looking for. I will consider it, but right now the battery life looks like 8 hours on avg. And the cost is a little more that what I had in mind. But, I will go on my list of possibles.

9. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    I always keep mine on USB power when playing. I figure one cable or two doesn't make much of a difference for the way I use it.

Badwater likes this.
  10. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    That's a great idea. Come to think of it, I have a 6600 mAh portable battery pac for USB. This opens up a bunch more option. Thanks.

11. If it was me I'd just hook up my phone to my 10Ah portable charger. No investment needed - seems you have a power brick too.

12. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Yes.
    With this new info, I'll be using the battery pack. But I'm still looking to upgrade my cheap mp3 player.

13. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    my fairly basic Zoom , older model , H2n (?) plays WAV files , or high bit rate MP3 files ...

runs on 2 AA batts ... i usually use an A/C adapter ,... but on some other devices i am trying some Lithium Recharge-ables that last much much longer than NiCad rechrg .. but require a specific charger ..!!

and they stay at least 90% charged if they're just sitting around for months unused .!

i drag/drop files to take from my laptop to the studio on it's SD card ... usb plugin sees it as another drive .

Badwater likes this.
  14. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    That's a great idea. In fact, I have the same H2 from a while back. If I can find it I'll give it a test later tonight. Thanks.

15. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    If the DAC on a high quality smartphone isn't enough for you, hooking one to a USB interface like an RME Babyface (run in class-compliant mode) would do the trick.

16. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Thank you, that would provide some great quality. However, I'm looking for a compact portable option.

17. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Have you seen the Babyface? I'm not sure what your portability requirements are, but it sure ain't big...

18. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017

I found my Zoom H2, the old silver plastic model. I was able to load up about 2.8Gb of data on my 4GB class 4 card which works out quite well to be honest. The sound is much better over the mp3 through the Warwick bass amp. However, I could not format the larger 8 and 16gb cards. The Zoom just keeps running "Now Loading" screen. I think this zoom only used class 4 cards and can't run class 10 cards. The manual says it should take up to a 16gb card. Anyway, loading up at 2 and 3mb per sec is not fun when you're use to USB 3 speeds. Anyway, thanks for your suggestion, this will hold me over until I get a more efficient device for the playback.

19. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Thanks for your help.
    I checked the RME Babyface on the amazon. They are nice, and looks very portable. It appears to be a multi purpose recording device as well as stand alone recorder interface. A little pricey. I currently use a interface and DAW for recording. An my goal is to get those tracks, mixes, and backing tracks in a small portable pocket size high resolution player. This way I can use the AUX inputs on my bass amp as well as other audio devices.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021