1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Options on a neck...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tommygunn, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I love the geddy lee jazz's neck (yes, a shock to those who know me well) but I honestly couldn't live with those crappy little painted on block inlays (it would bug me, though they do look legit). What is another bass that has the exactly same neck as the Geddy? Or could I easily just get someone (or myself) to put the inlays in the neck or would that just ruin it?

Thanks guys.

2. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    I believe the Jag has the same neck. Mine is thin as hell and I'm pretty sure its real inlays. I've never really thought of checking to make sure though.

3. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    The older GL models have actual inlays, and some people say the newer ones do, too.
    To me, the Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn neck feels very close to the Geddy neck.

4. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I find the Jag to be a cool bass but the "aged" blocks turn me off of it. And yes, I think I'm OCD when it comes to basses. You know what? (No, I don't know what but he seems like a nice guy) I think I'll call fender today and ask them about the inlays and if they are painted on what year they started doing that.

5. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    The inlays were real blocks on the first couple years the Geddy Lee Jazz was produced.

I believe they started painting them because it was more inexpensive than routing for blocks and overall the (already thin) neck has more strength because of the extra amount of wood left in it to gave it a bit more mass, more importantly.

Honestly, I wouldn't let the painted blocks bother you. You can't tell from more than 2 inches away (I wouldn't let anyone get their face that close to my fretboard anyways LOL), the paint doesn't seem to rub/scratch off, and you have a sturdier neck in the long run.

Just IMO though. YMMV. :bassist:

6. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    The guy at fender said he doesn't remember what year they started off hand but if I was worried about it he said just a year or 2 ago they went back to the actual inlays.

Very helpful guys! :)

7. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I know they won't scratch off for they paint them on and then paint the laquer (clear coat) over it. But the only problem is I would want a used one (cause the new ones are like $1000) and I don't want a used one with the painted on blocks.

8. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Cant you get a new Geddy for about $1000?

9. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Well...I don't really see the big deal of paint vs. real, just play the damn thing LOL. But it's your bass, you want what you want. Just be glad they don't use stickers :p

10. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Well I'm still thinkin about the prices before the price drop. Now they can be had for $999

As I said... I'm OCD with basses. Very much so

11. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    You could look for an older used one. Could be had for $500-700.
    As far as I know, if it has the "special edition" stamp on the neckplate, it will probably have the REAL inlays on the neck.

My geddy had them painted on, and there was no SE stamp on the neckplate either.

12. What about an allparts neck?

13. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    IIRC they are the same as the MIM 70's jazz neck. And that one is a bit of a thicker neck, I hate jazz necks (thus why it's strange I like the geddy neck) and I hate the 70's jazz neck

14. I bought one in January. The blocks are real, as is the binding. But the neck is a bit fatter, not much, but a bit. I didnt realize this until after I ordered it, but it's ok. I'll practice a song on the bass with the Allparts neck, and then I can usually play it faster on my other bass with the smaller maple neck, so all is good.

BTW the other maple neck is off a Squier VM Jazz and is smaller and more comfy.

BnB

15. I've had 3 (or 4, can't remember) Geddy's and they all had real inlays.

16. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    You can tell!? For me it's just been a mental thing. I can never (of all the geddys I've played) really noticed a difference

17. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    Then why does it matter if they're real or not? Just don't ask the seller if the inlays are painted on and you will never know.

18. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I completely understand his concern. No one would have to know but me for it to be an issue. If I didn't know for sure that they were real inlays, it'd always, always be an issue. And I'd eventually sell the bass or neck for less than I paid for it because of that.

19. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    What? Really? Because of painted inlays? That's ridiculous.

I got top dollar (street value) for my Geddy when I sold it - and it had painted blocks...uh oh!

20. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Well I'm sure a lot of people (of course like myself) want a Geddy with the actual inlays. And your buyer didn't care!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020