1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Options on tab sites.

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Indiana Mike, Nov 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    I took a five year break from playing. Smart enough that I kept 3 basses , two amps , a tuner pedal and a sansamp vt.

Getting back into it.
    Online things have changed and I'm a bit confused.

I've seen songster and ultimate guitar.

Any opinions on tab sites ,free or paid are welcome.

2. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I've used songster a lot.
    I like the way it works, that you can repeat phrases, slow down, etc.
    It's not always 100%, but that's fine...I rarely intend to play anything note-for-note and like to use it as a starting point to get the basics and any important signature riffs right.
    It's saved me some hard work in a jam session when someone suggests a tune I mightn't know.

Another handy tool I use is RiffStation.
    This basically plays a youtube video of the song with it's chord pattern worked out (admittedly again not 100%, but if you just want to play along with something to get familiar before getting it perfect, it's helpful.)

This is possibly the only positive comment you're gonna get on the subject...you'll be told it's always best to work out a tune yourself, using a hard-learned knowledge of scales etc, that tabs are rubbish and you need to learn to read properly, etc ... and all this is of course completely correct in a perfect world.
    But if you wanna just get playing a few tunes fast go for it.
    Welcome back.:D

catcauphonic and Indiana Mike like this.
  3. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    Yes, I understand that... Tab is taboo...

But hey, I'm old, I'm a hobbyist and sometimes do work on stuff and sometimes don't. When I get stuck it's nice to pull a cheat. Note for note isn't a deal breaker. Most of the time if you pull off a particular double stop / riff, or similar most wouldn't notice it isn't note for note.

Thanks for the reply

Oddly likes this.
  4. viking power

viking power

Jul 5, 2012
    I’ll chime in here as I’m in the same dilemma. I’ve been looking at the following:
    1. IRealpro - app that provides backing tracks and chord charts. If I’m understanding correctly you would play along using your knowledge of theory to pump out walking bass lines. I think it’s a one time fee of $12.95 or so.
    2. Ultimate Guitar - website but also has iOS app. Free with subscription option. Loads of tab, some static, some with backing track and moving tab to play along with.
    3. Jellynote - similar to 2. above but also has learning tabs and videos. Subscription based model.
    4. Guitar Pro - PC or iOS app. I think it’s just a one time fee but is otherwise similar to 2. above.
    5. Yousician - uses gaming style of learning to level up your playing. Also have now added tab play along similar to 2. above. Subscription based model.
    6. Bigbasstabs - website that has tab in static form for free. Has been my go to option but is no frills with no backing tracks.
    Would love to hear what people here have to say about these. Trying to decide if I want to spend any money on any of the not free options.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Indiana Mike likes this.
  5. Nebula24

Nebula24

Nov 23, 2017
    Norman, OK
    Im just getting back into playing bass. Enjoying the ultimate guitar app on android and ios. Beats sitting at desktop long ago or just static printed sheets.
    Got the android app on sale and with google credit to use with my note 4. Have hand me down old ipad so got the ios one too but it was pricier even at 1/2 off [$25ish] but since didnt spend much on android didnt mind double dip [apple warning: its tablet and phone apps are different]. Easier to see but noticed some weird issues where timing is off on tab pro (reminds me of rocksmith). Assuming its because its a real old ipad and not the app in general. Its not all songs, and i end up just muting sound so i can focus on tab. Still fun way to play. Not all songs have tab pro so use regular bass tab for some stuff. Still worth it at least for android.

viking power likes this.
  6. viking power

viking power

Jul 5, 2012
    You didn’t have to subscribe for the iPad app?

7. Nebula24

Nebula24

Nov 23, 2017
    Norman, OK
    I did the lifetime sub not monthly. But it was always showing up as 50% off. Didnt pay full price. It was a lot cheaper on android but that let me know i like using it and wanted it in bigger screen [dont have an android tablet]. Wouldnt have bought the ios one if hadnt used the android version since it was pricey for an app.

viking power likes this.
  8. viking power

viking power

Jul 5, 2012
    Cool thanks for the info!

Did you get the “Tabpro multitrack guitar tabs” app by Ultimate Guitar or “Tabs & Chords HD” also by them?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  9. Nebula24

Nebula24

Nov 23, 2017
    Norman, OK
    Tabs and chords hd. Just be aware they do have weird business model: HD is ipad only. Wont work on iphone. Android and pc are seperate purchases too. So i have 2 sets of favorites since i switch between my phone and ipad. Not sure how tab pro works.

I didnt try songster but do like their website. Just got deal on andoid tab and chord app so stuck with that. And then did the 1/2 off for ipad. Feel like i got my moneys worth as i use it every other day.