Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Options/opinion for half stack under $1000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dvon1981, Jan 12, 2006.

1. dvon1981

dvon1981

Jan 12, 2006
    Hi all,

Well i started the day thinking I wanted an ampeg svt 350. after some peoples comments in my thread on that head i'm thinking it's really not the best option.

I've always had a combo amp and haven't played where i've needed more power, thought recently i've joined a band where I do. I'm hoping some of you can give me some recommendations.

Here are my requirements:
    need to be able to play small to medium bars
    we play pop/punk quite loud two guitars w/ 4x12 cabs loud drums
    Don't want a full stack for portability issues
    like the sound of a 4x10 cab. like a punchy but full sound

What should I be looking at?

2. m1k3_88

m1k3_88

Jan 23, 2005
    Yorkville Xs400H & Avatar 410 Neo Or Kappa Pro

3. First off, defintely look used, especially in the classifieds section here. If you dont like used, I would recommend maybe a Kustom Groove 1200 with an Avatar Kappa Pro or Neo 4x10. That could easily be had for less than 1000 dollars.

Dave

4. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'd look at getting a either a nice head and a decent cab, or a nice cab and a decent head. That way, if/when you decide to upgrade, you'll be headed in the right direction and won't have to start fresh.

I paid a little over $1000 for my "first" rig (it wasn't actually my first rig; but after going w/o an amp for a loooong time, it was my first). I got an Aguilar GS410 and a used Gallien-Krueger 400RB.

I sold the GK and got a new head; but I love my aguilar to death, and don't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon.

Don't be afraid to buy used gear. You'll be happy you saved so much money. My first rig ever only set me back about $500 : GK400RBIII and Eden 115T.

I'd check out some Eden, Aguilar, and SWR gear.

EDIT: Why do I always forget about Avatars?!!!! Definitely worth looking at.

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Traynor YBA200. Roughly 600 bucks new.

Avatar 2x12 or 4x10 Pro/Neo cab.

All under $1000 bucks

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    +1