Optostomp question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassman515, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Hello all,

I just picked one of these up and it seems pretty nice, but i have one question. It get unity volume i have to have the volume of the pedal almost pegged, it is around 3:30. Is this normal? I have the compression at around 11:30 or so.

Thanks!
    Jeremy

2. Same on mine, depending on whether the pad is in or out and which bass I'm using...

3. I have the pad off and i am using a Lakland 55-02...eq flat

4. Well, my scenario is pad off & Stingray, so that's comparable.

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Urgh, I'm going to have to get another one of these and check it out again. This is like the twelfth instance I know of where somebody posted here about low output levels from their Optostomp. I didn't observe that problem with the one I tested, but maybe they changed the design since then?

6. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

Mine doesn't seem to be like that. I'll note my settings closely and post them. It's over at our practice space.

7. Well, I can get unity out of it with all my basses, without having to dime it, so I'm not really worried about it.

8. Puru

Puru

Mar 13, 2006
    Alachua, Florida
    I use mine with both knobs at 2:00 and get unity volume--pad off with passive Bart 9J1 pups. No problem even with the Barts being relatively lower output pickups. With the compression at 2:00 I get a nice smooth signal with no noticeable loss of tone. I recently recorded with it and was amazed at how even the signal was.

9. hmmm, i looked again and i am at closer to 4:00 on the volume and 12:00 on the compression...i wonder if all is ok...

10. I appriciate it...look forward to seeing your settings

11. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

Forgot... sorry.

I have both the compression and the volume set at about 3 o'clock for unity gain. Seems fine.

Experimented a little by bringing up the compression a little at a time and then readjusting for unity. The Volume knob got dimed SLIGHTLY earlier than the compression knob. Seems to be well calibrated to me.

This is with the pad off, using various Fender passive basses.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021