1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Or maybe just a new head/cab setup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by txbasschik, Feb 18, 2008.

1. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    I just compared the weight of the Avatar Neo 4x10 with my Behringer. My Behringer weighs 100 lbs. The Avatar weighs 65. So...I may just go buy an Avatar and sell that Behringer.

But there's still the issue of my cab...its an SWR 2004. My ability to adjust my sound where I like it is limited. Its designed for a rack effects unit to be used with it, but I dunno if I want one of those. I also don't want a string of pedals, either.

Avatar cab users...what head and effects do you like with your Avatar?

Cherie :bassist:

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I've owned some SWR wm and pro and IMO the best "effect" you could add would be a Tech21 RBI. It will give you many more tonal options.

trust me!

+1 on the avatar idea...

http://tech21nyc.com/rbi.html

3. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    I have a GK800RB with my Avatar 212. It sounds like creamy bailey's.

4. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Oh! A Sansamp! Yeah, I agree. Even if I kept my rig as is, a Sansamp would give me more options, and be just plain handy.

My husband will argue about this with me, of course. He thinks the Bass Planet's sun rises and sets on Ampeg. Because his bassist thinks so.

I may just order me an Avatar (and a Sansamp) and ask forgiveness for it later.

When he realizes how light it is, when he helps me load it into the truck for the next gig or jam, he'll thank me. ;)

5. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Creamy Bailey's...I liiiiiiike that!

I often find GK sound to be a bit too...digital-ish...for me. But if they sound that good through the Avatar, well...bears looking into!

Thanks!

6. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Thinking to perhaps buy an Avatar 4x10, and a new/different head. I still need a rig that stays home, though, for practicing and for house jams. Maybe get a 2x12 and a 15, and just leave one of those cabs on the band trailer, and carry my head back and forth.

Cherie

7. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Cherie, I've got an Avatar 410 as well as a 210 and a 112 that I use together. I've run an Ashdown MK500, an iAmp 800, and a Markbass LMII (currently) through them.

Of the group, to my ears, the iAmp sounded the best - totally clear and sweet on the high end, very hi-fi on the low end. I used it as a preamp in recording Fina Dupa's recent album for those reasons. But it sounded rather "shy" in a live mix and I never felt it quite had enough cajones. The MK500 was shockingly dry sounding, considering whom it was designed for. The LMII is the best compromise I have thus far reached from a tonal and power perspective, not to mention the ridiculously low price and light weight it carries.

I think that the LMII sounds a little better through the 210/112 combination, which I tend to stack vertically. But not better enough to make me use that combination on gigs - I like the one-trip portability of the 410 a little more, so it goes out with me and the 210/112 stays at the studio.

In all, I would say that a LMII/Avatar rig is a very nice-sounding, cost-effective solution.