Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oral surgery?!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dharma, Mar 17, 2006.

1. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Here's a warning to you guys and gal(s).

Don't brush your teeth too hard. I have, apparently, for the better part of my life; my lower gumline has, apparently, been damaged by this practice.

I have to have a graft taken from the roof of my mouth Wednesday and sewn along the gumline to shore it up and make it quit receding (hopefully.)

A little internet research has yielded me such wonderful news as:

1) This condition is linked to calcium deficiency. I'm lactose intolerant. Connect the dots.

2) This procedure is iffy. I've read a bit about those that don't "take" and I don't like it.

3) There's no way to really cure this, i.e. reverse the loss, as it's linked to bone degredation (probably) from the aforementioned calcium deficiency. Gingivitis also causes recession, but that's not my problem. Periodontis can develop, which ... is for old people! I'm 23.

To get to the point, are there any of us with first-hand experience? I'm a "relatively healthy" guy; my only previous problems have been asthma-related, which decreased during college.

I'm just freaked out by the oral surgery aspect of this -- I've been offered "full sedation," as well. My first such offering. IV sedation is intriguing, but also scary.

I'm really just unfamiliar with all of this, thus afraid.

I'm told the Percocets are going to be killer, though.

2. Freaky. I'm 23, I had asthma that basically went away during college (except for one nasty episode my sophomore year), I'm lactose intolerant, and I brush kinda hard. I hope I'm not in this situation anytime soon. On the other hand, I know upwards of 20 dental students, so if I ever need a procedure like this done, I can get it done for free. :D

Do you not like Lactaid milk? I find it quite good.

3. Oh I loved getting knocked out when I got my wisdom teeth out. Afterwards wasn't so fun but the vicodin helped out. :)

I'm sure you will be fine. The dentist has probably done a bunch of times and will be nothing big. Good luck with your gum adventure.

4. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Update:

The surgery took mere seconds (in my fully-sedated mind).

My father almost passed out when he walked in after the surgery, with me looking like a heroin-addict with the IV in my arm, the glaze in my eyes, and the wads of gauze puffing my face out like a chipmunk.

The IV burned like a bitch for about 8 seconds.

I don't remember coming home.

My mouth bled for most of the afternoon, and I'm wearing a stint (sorta like a retainer) to keep pressure on the wound in the top of my mouth.

There's putty over my lower gums in the front. I won't touch it. I'm afraid to.

Percocet 7.5-500's:

They are OF THE DEVIL. I've just eaten the first thing (soup) since 38 hours ago.
    I have almost puked about 10 times taking these pills. They just make me dizzy and knock me out. None of that "narcotic" high everybody tells me I'm supposed to enjoy. They actually just make me want to die.

So, I don't think I'm going to take them every 4 hours as directed.

All in all, after doing it, it's not that bad. Sorta like when I got my nipples pierced. First one sucked, but not as much as the anticipation. The second one, by comparison, was a breeze.

Go to a periodontist in your area if your gums are receding and you're not sure why. It's going to hurt you, especially in the pocketbook (800bucks!) but it's better than having holes in your mouth where your teeth have taken a permanent vacation.

5. I was going to suggest that you try and fight the anesthetic. I think it's fun. I've been put under a couple times, and they doo that whole "count backward from 100" thing. I've made it as far as the low eighties before going away.

But you already went and had your mouth carved up. So instead I'll say "I'm sorry" and leave it at that. Oh, and try and get your pain med changed. Try Darvocet. Worked great for me.

Rock on
    Eric

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    My wife had that procedure done as well. I'll probably need it in a few years.

bc

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I have the same problem. The oral hygenist made me buy a Sonicare and put veneers on the teeth with the greatest exposure. We'll see where we are in a few years.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I think my best ever was about 82. I have surgery for sport these days.

9. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Edit: There was a BONUS in the surgery. The also performed a Frenectomy, a procedure that removed the small bridge that connects your gumline to your lower lip. Put your tongue in front of your teeth down there and you'll feel what a Frenum is, if you're unfamiliar with the term. I wasn't aware they'd be removing it until I took the stint out today and tried a mild tooth-brushing.

I actually just watched the heartrate monitor, instead of the counting thing.

Further update: The narcotic high from the Perc's IS what I was told it would be.

I've got nothing but respect for Percocets now, but I need to qualify that: EAT SOMETHING BEFORE YOU TAKE THEM!

Sorry if all of this seems a little ridiculous, but I am doped up. ;)

I do have to go back to my night shift tomorrow, and think I'll be having my girlfriend drive me.

The job is very ... stressful. Lots of Monday-morning quarterbacking from the higher-up editors that edit me.

To put this bluntly, I'll probably actually enjoy the designing and editing at work tomorrow more on the drugs. The impending feeling of big brother over my shoulder is going to be much, MUCH less imposing, I'm sure.

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a somewhat similar reaction to Percocet and also am baffled by the appeal. :confused: You're going to love what it does to your digestion. (hint: you on the toilet will look like this -->:mad: :mad: ) But the pain will make you want to go back to your 4 hour regimen.

I'm shocked that a dentist didn't tell you to ease up on your teeth years ago. Mine did, and recommended only use "Soft bristle" brushes, which I've been using for many years.

11. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I've had grafts like that cuz my lower gumline was too low by nature. It was quite a few years ago, so I don't remember if it was really painful, but I haven't had any comebacks or issues with it. I wouldn't be too worried honestly.
    From what I hear, everybody pukes from taking percocet, or antracet, or whichever drug that ends with cet. Take half of half of what they tell you. No joke. You'll be better off with a bit of pain that puking all over the place. IMO.

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

All I got was Tylenol with codeine. Not very powerful: I still felt pain, I just didn't care about it as much. It's likely my graft was much less intense than yours. Best of luck to ya!