1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orange 500 watt terror combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mark61, Jan 10, 2018.

1. mark61

mark61

Feb 7, 2013
    Help appreciated in advance.

I purchased a used Orange 500 watt terror combo amp a while back and really like it. I was cranking it up the other night approaching enough to blow out my house Windows when I heard a cracking , distorted sound almost like when you have a bad cable.
    I tend to play muddy so my mids and highs were at 11 o'clock. ( start at 7 o'clock)
    And my bass at 12 -1 o'clock.
    Gain was at 11 o'clock and volume at 1 -2 o'clock.
    Question is would you expect this with that much knob left to go. I'm kinda new at this so it's why I'm asking. Also play with a Ibanex Sr 1200 and equalizer was on.
    Seems to only crack on the E string and mostly at the lower tabs G and A. Also seems to be more around the most proximal pick up or the one closest to the neck.
    Just wondering if I'm expecting to much. This amp has 2 -12" speakers one in front of the other. I just really like this amp and with cover off , the front speaker that I can see is totally intact.

Have a little Mark bass 250 and it doesn't do this but the speaker is 15"

Cables good , unsure if it's the amp. Bass or am I expecting to much. Maybe lack of use of total knob control is for a passive bass.

Thanks again for any input. Like I said I'm older but kinda newer at bass x 3 years.

Best
    Mark

2. Other than relative position, where the knobs are means nothing.
    There is no correlation between knob settings and power output.
    The only guarantee is that all the way down = all the way down, and all the way up = you can't turn it up any more.

The more heavy you EQ the bass end, the more likely it is that you might damage the speaker.
    The lower frequencies are harder to reproduce, and to hear, therefore you tend to turn up more. This all makes your speaker work harder, especially on the lower end. You may be causing the voice coil to exceed its travel limits ot may have torn or creased the cone.

Take the grill off and inspect the cone, then lightly push in on the cone and see if you can hear any rubbing noise. There shouldn't be any.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  3. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Sounds like maybe your strings were hitting a pickup?

4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Step 1...if you haven't, replace the battery in your bass.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  5. mark61

mark61

Feb 7, 2013
    Think my strings are actually a bit high.
    Will check the battery ,but thought this would effect it at any level

Thanks

6. mark61

mark61

Feb 7, 2013
    The Mark bass amp is fine at these levels with the same bass, but again will change the battery

7. One thing that might happen with a low battery is that it can't supply enough current at higher levels, higher levels need more current. So yes, could be the batt. Besides, it's an easy thing and fairly cheap.

8. mark61

mark61

Feb 7, 2013
    Thanks you guys, Lug. It was the battery. Amp cranks. You guys just saved me gas and an hour drive to Akron .
    Thank you so much !!!
    mark