1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orange 500w with Power Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WhiskeyVeins, Oct 18, 2013.

1. WhiskeyVeins

WhiskeyVeins

Oct 18, 2013
    Hey, I'm new here but I've looked and looked over the internet and asked friends and everything else and I can't find a solid answer to my question.

I have an Orange Bass Terror 500w with 8/4ohm option and I have an ampeg 8x10 which runs at 4ohm. I really want to run 2 cabs (aka 2ohm) but obviously my head couldn't do all that, watt or ohm wise. I'm kinda new with all this, but could a poweramp let me run at 2 ohms, or do they only add wattage?

Also, if I have a 4 ohm cab and an 8ohm cab, how would I go about running both of those also?

Hope someone can help, I'll try to explain further if I was to vague.

Thank you.

2. Use the "effects send" on your Orange to another micro 500 watt head. Each amp driving a 4 ohm cab and total power of 1000 watts with the voice of the Orange.
    Running a 4 ohm and 8 ohm together is a 2.67 ohm load and the 4 ohm cab will receive more power than the 8 ohm cab (bad idea). You would still need two amps or a stereo power amp.

3. WhiskeyVeins

WhiskeyVeins

Oct 18, 2013
    So yes or no to the power amp? What's an example of a "micro 500w head" (sorry I suck so bad)

But ahh, I see, thanks for tellin' me about that. I always wondered how people would run a 4ohm and 8ohm together.

Thanks again.

4. Micro 500 watt: G-K MB500, Carvin BX500, keep it simple as you will run to the "effects return" to slave from the preamp of the Orange.

You could go the stereo power amp route like a Peavey IPR2 1600, use one channel only at 4 ohms you will get 600 watts. Use both channels at 4 ohms from the Orange preamp and each channel will be 530 watts.