1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orange AD 200 Valve Head gone reallly quiet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Duncorama, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    Hello!
    I was setting up at practice the other night and i switched the power on and then the stand by switch on and left it to heat up whilst i sorted out my pedals. After about 30 seconds the amp made a loud noise like it had been kicked, then when i turned up the volume to start playing it was really quiet.
    Does anyone know why this could be? It's my first valve amp so i know nothing!

2. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    There are a couple red LEDs on the back...are any lit up?

3. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    I didn't look, butt i shall at practice on tuesday.
    If they are lit up what would that mean?

4. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Sounds like tubes to me :meh:

5. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I believe the lights on the back indicate that there is a power tube failure.

6. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    Ah right cool, if this is the case then do i just need to replace all valves or just one? If so then how will i know which one to replace?
    Thank you very much for helping me out!

7. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    Hello again!
    I turned it on and looked at the leds, none of them were lit up.
    Any ideas?

8. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    Anyone?!?!?!?!?!?

9. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Take it to a tech?

10. Hi.

+1

If You have confirmed that the problem is the amp, the tech will know what to do.

Other than checking the fuse(s) and perhaps replacing it, there's really not too much that can be safely done for a malfunctioning amplifier, tube or SS.

The only one that comes to my mind is the possibility of a dirty effects loop jacks ( if any on Orange).

Regards
    Sam

11. Implosion

Implosion

Oct 19, 2007
    Finland
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't one first swicth on the power and let it warm up and after that switch it to stand-by?

12. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    Yeah you're totally right, sorry i didn't make it clear but yeah that's what i did.
    Looks like it's the tech for me then!
    Cheers for the advice.