Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Orange AD200 Ohmage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by garethCV, Sep 10, 2005.

1. garethCV

garethCV

Sep 7, 2004
    PDX, Oregon
    I'm having a bit of an issue obtaining any detailed specs for this head... Does the AD200 safely go down to 2 ohms?

2. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I believe it's 4ohm only. But don't take my word for it.

Check the orange forums, or the plexi palace forums, they know their stuff.

Make sure you post your results:)

3. garethCV

garethCV

Sep 7, 2004
    PDX, Oregon
    Hrmm.. Thats kind of what it looked like to me too, I'll bug the Orange forum guys and see if someone can straighten me out :smug:

4. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
  5. garethCV

garethCV

Sep 7, 2004
    PDX, Oregon
    Nice, I've been trying to find a picture of the back panel!

I'm trying to figure out if I could use the head with my SVT-1540 cab, I suppose I could run it from the 8-ohm full range mode input instead of running it as though it were 2 4-ohm cabinets at 2 ohms.. Would the head still be putting out it's full power if it was being run at 8 ohms?

6. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE

Tube heads will indeed put out full power at any ohmage. That's the beauty of it. Make sure you plug into the right jack though or you will be replacing very expensive OT's.

7. garethCV

garethCV

Sep 7, 2004
    PDX, Oregon
    Oooh, that IS good news.. I guess now that leaves me to decide between the AD200 and an SVT-CL :meh:

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Orange.

9. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    tough choice isn't it?? check the "all tube head"-thread if you missed it..

btw, I use my ad200 (mk1) with an ampeg 8x10classic..
    From the 4 Ohm output into the 4Ohm mono input in the 8x10.. works like a charm..

doesn't your cab also have a mono 4 ohm input?

10. garethCV

garethCV

Sep 7, 2004
    PDX, Oregon
    This cab is pretty bizarre, it has 4 inputs on the back, 2 are labeled "Full Range: 8Ohms/400 Watts", and the other two are labeled "Bi Amp: 4Ohms/200 Watts (Hi) & 4Ohms/200 Watts (Low)", which from reading up on the cab seems to mean one 4 ohm input for the 4x10 section, and one 4 ohm input for the 1x15 section. It would make my life a bit easier if the darn thing just had a 4 ohm mono input like the 810E.

11. ..not just ANY impedance!!!!! Only RATED outputs give roughly equivalent power. If you go higher in impedance (it's not a dirty word, can we we use it?) then the amp puts out MORE power but at the expense of stability. If you go lower in impedance, then the amp puts out LESS power and distorts easier. For info as to why, look up my posts in the "Ohms FAQ."

That would indicate that each section is wired in series to each other for the full range input, and there is no way you can get a 4 ohm impedance from such a combination.