1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ORANGE AD200 replacing valves?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wheelband, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Wheelband

Wheelband

Apr 18, 2010
    Hello, Tom here. Recently my Orange AD200 has been making a faint fizz/pop sound when playing certain notes on the A string on my bass. At first I thought it maybe my guitar as it was sounding through the amp, however I tried it through a different amp and the guitar was fine. On further inspection when playing these certain notes one of the power tubes in my amp glows bright blue!! I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and if it indicates re-tubing the amp?

If this is the case could anyone recommend the best current valve manufacturer for the job? I figure if I have to replace the valves I may aswell do the whole lot and do it properly.

Also has anyone got experience of re-valving an Orange AD200 and if so could you give me any pointers?

Thank you and look forward to your responses, Tom.

2. send it back to orange to get re-tubed or go to a local guy you trust. for power tubes get SED Winged C 6550.

That tube needs replacing, so the rest have to go too. but save the 3 good ones for backups in case of emergency.

3. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    1. Have you checked the cables you are using with the amp?
    2. Have you checked the cab you are using with the amp?
    3. Search for 6550/kt88 tubes on here to see what sounds like your tube.
    4. Have an experienced tech do the actual re tubing.

4. Not familiar with the AD200, but if one tube is glowing blue you likely have a gassy tube, not a bad cable. Are they the stock tubes?

5. Wheelband

Wheelband

Apr 18, 2010
    Thanks for all the replies people. Its not the cable, cab or guitar as done all the regular checks and switched them around yet the noise persists. The tubes are all stock and pretty old now so I guess I will have t re-tube it (and keep the good ones for spares as previously suggested). Also thinking of purchasing a bias measuring device for the future so I can do the job myself and keep it maintained. Figure I will save in the long run, Tom

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    winged C 6550's or Valve Art KT88's (or KT100's) would be my choice. I'm using the Valve Art KT100's in my Sound City Bass 150. they sound great and are built VERY rugged (even more so than the winged C's that i have).

if you're going to replace the front end (preamp) tubes, i'd go with JJ's (eECC803S-long plates or ECC83S shorter plates)

2 cents.................

7. A blue glow in an output tube is quite normal and should be there. In fact all the tube should have a blue glow. Remember that the amp will have to be rebiased when you change the tubes.

Paul