1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orange AD200 vs. Ampeg SVT-VR vs. Mesa Boogie 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MascisMan, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Ampeg SVT-VR

68 vote(s)
    37.8%
  2. Orange AD200 mk.3

47 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. Mesa Boogie 400+

65 vote(s)
    36.1%
  1. MascisMan

MascisMan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Tone? Reliability? Weight? Cosmetics? Versatility? Considering all characteristics, which do you choose for rock?

2. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Tone: Draw - depends on what ya like. I prefer the 400+ or the Orange
    Weight: 400+
    Cosmetics: Orange
    Versatility: 400+
    And I'll add one - Reliability: 400+

3. Yeah-as above, depends on what I like. I voted 4 the Orange AD200:- lighter, sounds good, still plenty loud enough, made well.
    Mesa- dunno too much about-re personal experience
    SVT-VR-Great sounding amp -U know all the + ives, but very heavy & very loud-maybe not quite as easy 2 get in the 'sweet spot' as the Orange??? Dunno- I've only played a VR in a shop! So..................

4. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    I voted SVT-VR, great amp, but I sold mine and bought a Peavey Classic 400 which suits better.

Mesa has never done it for me, not enough character, never played an Orange.

5. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I own an American built SVT-VR and I love it. However, now that they are build "offshore" I do not feel that they represent good value for money and if I were looking to buy a high powered tube bass amp, Mesa would get my business. Therefore, that is my current recommendation!

6. I chose Mesa mostly because of the upheaval Ampeg is going through these days. I know Mesa gives good customer support and I think Orange is just overpriced.

7. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    I said the Orange. Great clear overdrive. A some what transparent tone from what I remember. I want one. lol.

8. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    An American-made Ampeg tube amp kills all IMHO. Stay away from that foreign Ampeg stuff--it's not Ampeg. I agree to a previous poster that 400+'s don't seem to have enough character. I'm sure with some tinkering that the Mesa can get a lively tone, but an Ampeg has mojo tone. An Orange isn't a great all-around amp, but kind of a unique tone amp.

9. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I'm voting VR, but admittedly it's the only one I've used extensively. I've only ever tried an Orange in a shop (once briefly several years ago) and wasn't thrilled... could have been the cabs or bass (not mine) I was trying it out through. And the Boogie's I've tried a hand full of times, never thrilled, but again, I've read/heard there's a steep learning curve to the EQ I've never played through.

10. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

My vote goes to the SVT-VR which sounds the closest to my
    '70 SVT. I'm a long time Ampeg user and I love the tone. I might add that they have been the most reliable amps that I've ever owned. My only problem with the SVT was the weight, which is why I'm now playing through a V4-BH and an SVT-15E cab.

George

11. Mattionals

Mattionals Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Doylestown, PA
    I've played all three. I have to say that the VR was my least favorite, but was definately still nice. Then came the 400+ and at the top was the Orange. I did even play a Thunderverb, but the AD200 sounded better. The one thing I don't like about tube amps is weight. I know I'm young, but if I can save my back now I will.

12. Phil230

Phil230

Jun 20, 2007
    Quebec City
    go for the 400+, cost a lot but worth every pennies

13. silenttodd

silenttodd Guest

Jul 2, 2007
    Toronto
    i used to have an ampeg v4b a late 70's model tone was decent, but just wasnt "the" amp for me.. svts are just sorta there to me. they sound good ya but not like my orange. u gotta own one to get to know one!!

played through a mesa before i didnt like the sound found a weird tone to it i wasnt used to. although i wasnt allowed to mess with the buttons on it, so that probably biased my opinion (frign jerk).

i own a orange ad200 mk3. 200 chunky watts of pure beauty. i LOVE this amp. cost was high but worth it i use a crappy 2 x 15 acoustic cab with it and it rocks so hard. so in conclusion.. orange! orange!orange!orange!orange!orange!

14. I voted SVT-VR

Why? Everytime I see it it makes me smile... and everytime I play trough it, it makes me have musical orgasms.. LOL

15. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I'm mulling this question over myself, for when I'm ready for a big rig (not yet). Because the Mesa can be bought used for 40-50% less than the other two, weighs a lot less than the VR, and offers more tonal flexibility, I plan on giving it a whole lot of consideration. Of course, the Orange or VR may have THE tone for you.

16. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

As an avid Ampeg player, I voted Orange.

Orange just looks so friggin' cool.:bassist: :D Never played one, but man they make a visual statement.:hyper:

17. I say the Mesa. It is the most versitle of the three, and its also light. I dunno how much an Orange weighs, but I know for sure that the 400+ is lighter than the VR. Reliability- I dont think you will have any problems with this in any of the amps. As for tone, the VR can get that Ampeg sound, and the Orange can get the Orange sound. The Mesa is very versitle and can go from hi-fi to distorted hell. It will not get either of the other tones 100%, but it can get pretty similar tones. Though, of course, you need to try to get your hands on each of the heads and trying them for yourself. Also, what cabs are you planning on using?

18. hey, if looks was all to go on the orange woudl win hands down and also its made in England- which makes it better that the other 2 :)
    Dan

19. Definately the Mesa. If you ever decide you want a more high fi tone, I just dont think you will ever get that out of the SVT or Orange.

20. MikeyB

MikeyB

Aug 16, 2006
    Sykesville, MD
    For Rock? SVT-VR hands down.

It defines the tone for the genre.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2021