Orange AD200 vs. Hiwatt Custom 200/400?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by demon666, Dec 6, 2005.

1. demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    Just wanted to see which one people would choose? Which one would be the king of production tube amps (I would include Trace V8 and Matamp6550 but you can't get either of them new and finding one used you'll pay as much as the hiwatt new )
  2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm not sure if the Sadowsky SA200 counts as a "production" amp or not, but I'd put it up there with the V8 as my vote for "King." That said, I have not heard the Orange or Hiwatt heads, though I would like to someday.

3. I'd probably take the VBA 400 over both of those. The hiwatt really doesn't qualify as production does it? If we include custom type stuff then i'd probably take the upcoming JacksonAmps "?" 300 over anything :D
  4. demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    My bad I should of put that as Brittish made tube heads and yeah I forgot the Marshall. Pretty much all of these heads are not a stock item and would have to be ordered. I know everyone's been going nuts over the SA200 it sounds like a killer amp it sounds as its kinda a hi fi tube amp which is cool kinda like the DB359. I was going for a more straight up rock and roll Brittish made head with tons of power. Something that would be more along the lines of an SVT. I would like to get peoples opinion on which amp would be the Brittish SVT.
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

actually they are again.

I'd get the Orange myself if I wanted something different than my Classic 400
  6. Really? Cool! :D
  7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Music123 stocks the Hiwatt heads again.

They're stupid expensive.
  8. demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    I've wanted an Orange for a while now but the Hiwatt looks promising about twice as much than the orange though, but again twice the watts (and you can get the Hiwatt in red or white too)
  9. demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI

Yeah like $2800 and $3600 respectively something like that. if you look though they're not in stock
  10. WHAAAAAAAA!? That's incredible. I didn't know Music123 was even allowed to carry anything that expensive. :p
  11. demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI

I don't think they stock them I think they would place an order to the company and then they would ship them from there or from a distributer in the US. Also because they give you a color option on them I highly doubt they would have 3 of each model in stock ,a red , a black, and a white.
  12. ingo62

Mar 15, 2005
    Emden, Germany
    I've got a Hiwatt Custom 200 plus the big cab (1 x 15 and 4 x 10") some weeks ago - in white! :bassist:

Sadly it's not my stuff :crying: , I reviewed it for the German mag "tools 4 music".

It's great stuff :D , but heavy and expensive :rolleyes:

13. I really don't think that today's production Orange amps fall into the king of tube amps category. Maybe the old ones, but there are quite a few amps that would be ahead of it IMO
  14. demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI

So does that mean you'de be interested in selling the head?
  15. macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden

well.. not if we talk about the custom shop PTP oranges..
    i have one of those and it kills..
    I'd take that ptp-orange over any amp i've ever played or heard anyday. If i was going to get another amp there are only 2 i'd choose from. the hiwatt200 or a 69 SVT.

btw, i bought that CS ptp-wired orange in supermint cond. hardly even used with original tubes and all for $1200. which is a bargain.. so it is possible to find if you're are the other "king of amps"..
  16. ? tell me more...? a link maybe?
  17. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I really would like to try one of the new Hiwatts...I can't imagine I wouldn't like it...the only problem is, you can buy three pretty decent vintage SVTs for the price of doesn't add up.
  18. macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden

well. i posted the image in another thread recently but here it goes:

there were 2 ptp runs done, the mk1's and the mk2's.
    mine is a mk1 with #051 serial. the highest mk1 serial i've seen was 60-70 something. the total production of mk1's and mk2's made are about 90 items..

spec's can be found here:
    and more orange reading from the sae page here
  19. yeah, my brother plays a pictures only OR120 nice for bass too, but not versatile enough for me...
  20. edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    There is a US company that builds and/or imports the real British HiWatt gear;
    I had the opportunity to use an imported Reeves (HiWatt) 200watt head for about a month, and it was stellar. Great tone and unbelievably loud for a 200 watt head, and of course very pricey as well. The biggest problems with British gear as far as price is probably the exchange rate and shipping costs. Reeves hand builds Hiwatt clone amps in the US, they are actually built as well or better than the originals. The wiring is true mil spec, built like a tank. After a nuclear holocaust, these amps and cockroaches will be the only things left! Reeves pretty much caters to the guitar players (100 watts and under) but the big guns are available from the UK, just remember to bring your checkbook.