Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Orange AD200B...looks great, anyone know how she sounds?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by freeslicefattyj, Mar 9, 2005.

1. My guitar player is all about orange, he loves it and I do agree that it sounds great, but for all the hype about the guitar amps I found it interesting that I never hear anything about the bass head. I've played through a cab and wasn't impressed, but I want to know about the AD200B. I've read all the specs on it but I've never seen one in person and I've never heard anyone give a personal review about it. Anyone ever had an experience with this amp?

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    There's been a buttload of threads on this thread recently, search for them. Also, in last month's Bass Player there was a short interview with a bassist from some metal band who played one through an Ampeg 810 and certainly seemed enthused with his tone.

3. oh sorry about that, didn't mean to be "that guy". I've been following tb pretty well and never saw anything about it, but I'll check it out for sure.

4. onusx

onusx

Feb 15, 2005
    god forbid that discussion continue? i find the search not very helpful, since figuring out exactly how something was phrased or addressed is nigh on impossible and kind of a waste of time compared to just posting a new question, which can always be ignored...

the bassist from Dead Meadow played an original 200 watt orange bass rig when i saw them in 2000/2001(?) and it was one of the best sounding rigs i've ever heard. most of the time bass tone is pretty run-of-the-mill, not very defined; the orange was very distinct; meaty, fuzzy, kind of dark. not super punchy, just big and broad, very smooth. exactly what you'd expect of an orange guitar sound translated to bass. lots of low mid, not that much brightness or sizzle. i wouldn't want it to be my only rig for guitar or bass because oranges just won't get that screaming, trebly grind like an SVT or Sunn 300t, and i don't think the definition for slap/pop would be that great, but for a killer, distinctive, solid rock sound that doesn't sound generic, i'd love an orange. the new guitar amps seem brighter or at least more versatile tonally than the vintage heads, while still doing the characteristic orange thing. the orange bass head when i heard it seemed to sit better in the mix than many high wattage solid-state heads, but it is not about providing clean headroom. much woolier than something comparable like a hiwatt 200, but the gain is not as spanky as a marshall major, for example.

a lot of my friends have had reliability issues with their older orange guitar heads, but i hear that's much improved in the new series. i think you should definitely check it out, if it sounds like what you're after.

5. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I wasn't trying to come off like a dick, I'm just totally exhausted and probably phrased my response in a crabby way. I'm crabby when I'm tired, ask my girlfriend! I was just sayin I noticed a slew of threads on this head over the last month or so and your answer may lie there, maybe not. Certainly no harm in a new thread :bassist:

6. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
    NJ
  7. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Thanks Sal always nice to get a helping hand, good call on the bassist too, are those guys any good?

8. Indeed I stand corrected. The search brought up some good info and don't worry about the reply I understand completely, apparently I overestimated my powers of observation. I'll be sure to do my homework a bit better next time.

9. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
    NJ
    of course. And yes, converge is good.