Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Orange AD200B Purchase

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Creep, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Creep

Creep

Mar 12, 2004
    First off I should say that I am very particular about my sound and I can't believe what I just did. I ordered the Orange AD200B without even hearing it!!! It's all been what I've read and word of mouth. Well never the less it will be in at the end of April and any input would be great. peace.

2. I didn't know that they were still making that amp, is it used?

3. Believe half of what you hear, and none of what you read.

I hope it works out for you!

4. Creep

Creep

Mar 12, 2004
    Golden boy, great advice, ampegsvtca it is a new amp. I got it from a vintage shop in so ca.

5. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I think that if you get yourself a curly cord you're gonna be alright. that's a killer amp.

6. Only 5 controls? That can't be enough!?!

Many manufacturers resort to complex control systems which allow a user to try to make their amps sound good. We think if an amp sounds great to start with... Who's going to want to change it?!?

200 watts... Is that loud enough?

We're talking "British Valve" watts here! Crank an AD200 BASS up on stage and it'll blow away any transistor equivalent!

:D :)

7. What did you guys think? Is it worth it? I think they sound great but I don't know anyone who has ever used one and I can't afford getting one myself nor have I seen one in a store to try out.

8. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    If you want to know more about them, call Cory at Rock City guitars in Cambridge, MA. Not only is he a monster bass player, but he knows all about high end bass gear and has had a lot of experience with Orange amps. I wish I owned one.

9. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    how much did the amp cost?

10. Creep

Creep

Mar 12, 2004
    Andrew, that amp was $1,800.00.

11. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Congratulations!

I'm a valve boy myself (Trace Elliot V6, Sound City Bass 150), so I am anxious to hear your report on the Orange!

To tell the truth, I've had a lot of GAS since I saw that amp. Point-to-point hand made. Orange quality. Undeniably cool looks. What could be bad?

What bin(s) are you running with that? What bass(es)? What style(s) of music?

Let's have the whole run-down, please.

12. Creep

Creep

Mar 12, 2004
    I have a music man 5 string as my main bass and a fender P-bass as my back up. I currently play everything from Rock (Deftones, Blindside, Violet Burning...) to classic Rock (Doobie Bros, Queen, Steely Dan) to acoustic rock (Dave Matthews, Duncan Shiek). These are just examples I don't play in a cover band.

My new orange should be here anyday. I'm so excited I'm about to puke. I will keep you all posted. peace.

13. Rock&Roll

Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    I played a new one at a store. They had the head running into both a 4x10 and a 1x15 at the same time. I grabbed the only american bass they had (P-bass......) and plugged in.

It was loud. It sounded real good. I doubt you'll be dissappointed. I didn't find anything that puts it any farther ahead than any other top notch amp out there. But I was also at a dissatvatage in the atmosphere of the room. It was full of rattling snares. I wasn't feeling like being an jerk and turing up all the way. And that 4x10, I did not like. I know most bass players like 4x10's. I guess the 4x10's tonal character just sounds to goofy to me. I like a well done 12's 15's and 18's.

Getting back on track, the amp will rock, don't sweat it.

14. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    did the orange land yet?

the marshall VBA400 is a decent head. i think it's nicer than the newer svt classic, but prefer a mesa 400+ to it. it looks damn cool though.

15. a few weeks ago, i saw c'mon (a new band with the legend himself ian blurton(of bionic, blurtonia and change of heart), and his g/f kaite lynn campbell of nashville pussy) and she was using a ric 4001 though an orange into a fender 115 cab and wow did that thing ever rock. it was so loud that 200w is plently, and the overdrive was amazing, it was really fuzzy, with out grinding too much. she was able to keep up with a cranked green amp though a marshall 412. gave me some gas something awful the day after :D ;)

16. Creep

Creep

Mar 12, 2004
    Sorry guys......the amp has yet to arrive. As soon as it does I will be sure to let everyone right away how it is.... :crying: :D

17. badsneakers

badsneakers

May 31, 2004
    So how did the Orange work out for you?? I would like to know. I'm looking to try something else, sick of my SVTCL

18. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I tested one out once. Fricking awesome. Simple Controls, cool looks, killer tone. I tested all the basses in the store I played it at. Not a single one sounded bad through it. If I had the spare change, I'd get one.

19. I used to own an Orange Matamp long time agon in Germany, when I was 19, and I loved that amp's sound and simple but very effective eq. section, unfortunately someone stole it and at that time I didn't have the funds to buy another one.
    If your new one is 1/2 as good as my Matamp was, congrats.