Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Orange AD200B vs. Ampeg SVTCL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by badsneakers, Jan 3, 2005.

1. badsneakers

badsneakers

May 31, 2004
    Has any one owned both amps? How would you compare their sounds and volume difference. I know the SVT has 300watts vs. the Oranges 200. Is there a big difference in volume? I wish I could try one out.

I own a SVTCL now and I run into a Bergantino NV610. I'm just looking for a change.

What do you all think? What about some other suggestions, I also had a Ashdown ABM500 EVO II in mind and have played one and liked it quite a bit.

2. badsneakers

badsneakers

May 31, 2004
    Must have heard it from there web site, it says---

200 watts... Is that loud enough?

We're talking "British Valve" watts here! Crank an AD200 BASS up on stage and it'll blow away any transistor equivalent!

I don't know why that is??

I would be using any new amp I get through my NV610

3. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Tubes produce harmonics that make tube amps seem louder to the human ear.

4. Volume is volume. SEEMING louder is louder.

5. Finally someone says it the way I see it. I love you PBG! ;)

And I've got a question:

Will a 100W tube amp blow a cab before a 100W Solid State amp will blow the same cab?

6. badsneakers

badsneakers

May 31, 2004
    (Volume is volume. SEEMING louder is louder)

Sounds good to me :)

But what makes point to point wiring better??

7. No. Matter of fact, tube amps are LESS likely to cause problems like speaker creasing and voice coil hang because output transformers typically don't pass extremely low frequencies (below 10 Hz), which DC offset and and solid state distortion can generate. These subsonic distortion frequencies eat up lots of power and stress speakers far more than "normal" audio because they're essentially just heat cooking the speaker's voice coil because they're trying to make the speaker move below its resonant frequency.

Nothing. I happen to think that P-T-P is one THE most overrated things in amp discussion. Anyone who has ever had to run down a problem with microphonic bus wiring in a vintage Fender amp or trace ANY kind of problem in an old Silvertone can tell you firsthand that P-T-P is not all it's cracked up to be. There ARE some advantages in terms of servicablility in large designs, but just because an AMP is P-T-P, it is not automatically superior to a PC board-based amp. Even the vintage SVT used circuit boards from its inception.

8. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    One overlooked thing about point-to-point wiring is that it often allows better wire routing than a PCB. Also allows easy use of shielded wires, which most companies using PCBs have avoided.

There are just compromises that are almost unavoidable in PCB wiring. Unless you use some discrete wires, you are stuck for longer traces and close proximity to other parts of the circuit.

Those things can drastically affect the parasitic capacitance between sections of a circuit. That in turn affects sound. Just that last bit of "lack of high end" or the tinge of buzz from the wrong part of the circuit leaking in.

I'd be willing to bet money that the subtle differences that make a great amp different from a good one can be found in just that sort of thing.

And it's not as if that was planned by the old guys. It just fell out of the way stuff used to be wired. You COULD run the wires a certain way, and it seemed better, so they did.

Of course, more apparent with tube amplifiers, due to signal swing, and larger components in general.

9. badsneakers

badsneakers

May 31, 2004
  10. sharpcut

sharpcut

Apr 11, 2005
    Finland
    I'm more interested in the tone differences than the volume of Ampeg and Orange.

If someone could describe the ADB tone compared to the SVT tone? I mean like in low end, high end, punch and so on. You know, how it sounds :)

11. if you own an SVT CL, then you probably know that it is great for that classic ampeg overdriven tone, but also kinda a one trick pony (IMO - so don't get all defensive now just because you own one...)

The Orange is similar in that it also really only does one tone well - British vintage valve tone - you either like it or you don't? This amp doesn't overdrive as nicely as the SVT IMO but its clean tone sounds better to me (very warm and juicy).

Its up2 your ears really... do you have the oportunity to try out the orange? Here in South Africa, we only get the old vintage oranges, so I don't know what the tone differences are between those and the new ones?

12. I've compared my V4 head against an SVT CL, in terms of SPL, there is virtually nothing in it, the Orange is much the same too... I tried an AD200B an birmingham, music live last year and it made everything else look daft. I found it to be nice and warm but would have said it was more 'SVT' than 'V-Type'. The closest thing that it sounded like to me was a Marshall VBA 400. It wasn't as aggressive as an SVT but would snarl if you kicked it a bit and didn't have the smoothness of my V4. I tried it through the orange 4x10 and the orange 1x15.

13. sharpcut

sharpcut

Apr 11, 2005
    Finland
    I don't have the Classic, I just thought that it would be a good reference point.

Ermph, I have no idea what you mean by "british vintage valve tone", Marshall? :confused:

I actually have a Marshall JCM 800 Bass Series head and I'm looking for something different. Could you say is the Orange closer to the Marshall or the Ampeg?

14. The VBA 400 Marshall is a different beast, I would say it doesn't have the 'classic Marshall sound'. I think that the 'british' sound on here is meant to be EL34 valves been overdriven. To answer your question, the Orange IMO, leans far closer to an Ampeg than Marshall.

15. skinnypete

skinnypete

Oct 7, 2004
    New York, NY
    I got the chance to try out a brand new Orange and an SVT side by side. The Orange has great sound and especially has a very unique overdrive tone. However, I would be concerned with the amount of headroom. Once you dial in that killer overdrive tone you are already on 11 and there's nowhere to go. Great for smaller rooms and recording.

16. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Well... the Orange is cooler looking. Just wish they came in other colors. :D It might also be possible to move it by yourself, which is a plus, I wouldn't want to try it with the SVT.

17. Well, i cant remember where i saw it, but it was on here, a company making an amp that looked the exact same as the orange but was green!!

On a slightly related note, there was a band playing in dundee earlier this year that had a blue line SVT, that had red torlex :D (i know it obviously wasnt original)

SVT's arent "that" heavy

18. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    i own a customshop AD200 mk1 and i use it with an ampeg 8x10 and J-bass.. i've always looked at the SVTcl as a head with a "thin" sound (unless played through an 8x10) and I was VERY much in love with the orange tone.. the orange can sound like the SVT if you want it to and from that position you can make the tone warmer, hotter or whatever.. but when i used a '76 tbird it made the whole setup sound very unclear and there wasn't much to do about it.. i only dialed in A PERFECT tone with the tbird once.. i had to write it down..
    The Orange ad200 mk3 which is not customshop seems to be fitted with bad tubes and doesn't sound as good as it is supposed to unless you change the tubes.
    I would love to have the chance to compare mk ad200 mk1 with an 70's SVT CL side by side through the same cab. Compared with the current production SVT my orange, atleast, sounds fuller, warmer and insanely good.. you also can get great tones similar to the tones produced during the 60's and 70's.. especially with a J-bass.
    I have a lot of soundclips on a page which is linked on the orange forum, but it's down at the moment..

About other colored "oranges", those are matamps and are available in green, red, blue, black, white and yellow.. among others..
    Orange was originally built by matamp for a guy named cliff cooper but are today not related in any way apart from the origin.

19. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I reviving this thread.

The company that makes the Green (and Blue, Red, purple, and White) amp is Matamp. Read up in the british amp history and you'll find out they were the same company at a certain point.

http://www.matamp.co.uk/gallery.htm

20. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    How does the AD200B compare to a Fender Bassman 135 (all tube 100watt) head as far as tone goes?