Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Orange AD200B vs Bassman 135

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Mar 5, 2006.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've been using my Bassman 135 for three years, and Love the tone I get but it's just not loud enough for some places. I've been reading alot about the Orange AD200B. I was wondering how these two compare tone wise? I like the straight forwardness of the AD200B, and that it's 200watts compared to my 135 which is 100watts. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated:D

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I think you should get more efficient cabs.

3. Is the 135 all tube? Is it just a less powerful version of the 300 PRO?

4. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    hey Sean I'm using two EA CXL112's. I used the Bassman last year on teh Warped TOur, and it wasn't loud enough for stage due to the fact that it is all outdoors:p That is the only reason I'm looking at another head

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    the 135 is from the late 70's and it is all tube, but nothing like the new 300PRO. It's like the old bassman heads

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Well, that's only two 1x12s. I use my less powerful Sunn through 2x15s and it's loud as balls. You need more efficient or simply more speakers.

7. You'd be hard pressed to find more efficient speakers.

Mike

8. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    I used to play a bassman 100 from the 70's and bought the orange while i still had it so i got to compare them both..
    the bassman had to be cranked all the way up to give me enough volume and ofcourse it got really distorted..which i wasn't aiming for.. The tone of the bassman is somewhat more "sterile" compared to the orange in terms of the tone..
    the ad200 does one thing best..it's tone. And since i bought the orange i had no need for the bassman..at all..
    it got sold..

9. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks macahan...what is the W=, H=, and D= of the AD200?

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    2 12s are still only 2 12s.

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    balls loud clean and ragin' full-on are 2 totally different things. I do agree with more speakers. You can get the same increase by doubling you speaker area as you can from doubling you wattage (I think... correct my science assumptions if I'm wrong)

A bassman 135 through a quad of CXL112 should be a glorious thing :bassist:

12. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    well.. WxHxD = 55, 24, 24 (cm) (oranges specs)
    if that's what you were asking..

but when i measured my mk1 this is the measurements including feet and handle: W:550mm, H:260mm, D:245mm

13. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I could add more speakers. it will be louder but not cleaner. I think the Orange will give me the head room, and volume I need for this Warped TOur coming up.