Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Orange AD200B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TrooperFarva, Feb 22, 2006.

1. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I like the tone of my 400+ through my NV215, but I want something more out of it. I recently bought an Ashdown ABM500, and tried that, and while it was good, it just wasn't what I was going for. I'm looking for something thats reliable, has a smooth distortion, and preferably is all tube. Like a vintage SVT, only without the constant maintanance. I think the AD200B is what I'm looking for, but where in or around New York City can I try one out? Also, along the same lines, and hints as to where I mght find one used? I've tried ebay, bassgear.com, and craigslist, and they didn't have anything. I'm not sure if I can afford a new AD200B right now. Thanks.

2. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    a ad200 used is seriousely rare..
    you might find mk3's sometime.. but mk1's and mk2's are exremely rare.. one ad140B (which only were made 17 of and i've actually seen the #001 in a shop once) was sold through http://www.matamp.com/usedgearsale.html
    but I haven't seen any ad200's sold there.

ebay is the most probable place to find one.
    as a side note I bought my mk1 for approximately $1000..and I haven't even heard it.. most of the guys on orangeamps forum hadn't heard the amp before purchase either..

3. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I think it's a Mk3 that I'm looking for, they had more gain, didn't they?

4. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    yeah.. they have 3 tubes in the preamp istead of 2..

btw.. there have been known issues about the quality of the "stock" tubes.. If you'll buy a new one make a deal with the seller that the tubes are replaced with better quality ones..
    This might be an issue that have been fixed but you can't be carefull enough, we're talking about an amp in the region of 2000 bucks +

5. i live in new york too about 20 minutes from manhatten and the last time i was in rudys music they had an AD200b, i believe an mk3... but good luck getting them to let you play it.

even if you go there and see it you'll have to buy it without hearing if, if its even still there.

and if you buy an orange i call dibs on your 400+ hahahaha

6. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I called Rudys, they don't have one, even though their site lists that they do. But I didn't have a problem the few times that I went to Rudys. They let me play any gear I wanted to. It's where I bought my NV215.

7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    *subscribed*

8. when i went there i wanted to play the orange and the guy me a hard time about it since "it's in the corner." and when i asked him if i could try the bongo HH there he straight up told me no.

i dont know maybe it was just the one guy but he wasnt too friendly.

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you want a good SVT like tone, get a vintage SVT. The Orange is a great amp, try one if you can. But the maintenance for an old SVT isn't that much. One trip to the tech after you get it and your good for a good long while.

10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    wow, that doesn't sound like a typical Rudy's encounter... They are world-famous for being pretty straight-up and friendly with their clients. Do you know who was assisting you that time?

11. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    In my opinion/experience, SVTs ain't got nothing on the AD200s (I still have yet to figure out all the models...).

I've never been able to get a sound I loved from an SVT. I had a near orgasmic experience with an AD200B though at Willie's Guitars in St. Paul, MN. They had to kick me out because I spent so much time playing it. I didn't even touch the EQs, and I was in heaven. I played every bass I could through it. Basses I really don't like... sounded amazing.

I'll own one eventually. I don't know when/how; but one day...

I think the reason that they don't show up used very often is the simple fact that people like them. I've been keeping my eyes out for a while now. I'm still looking. It's been over a year. I'm in the process of getting an Aggie DB750 though... I'd sell all of my gear for an AD200 though.

12. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    getting off topic, but my single experience with rudy's in new york was pretty similar. the guy was extremely unfriendly.

13. When I was in NY a couple of weeks ago having a good look around, the guys in there gave me a few dirty looks. It may have been down to the fact that I was carrying a sam ash bag from a couple of shops down :D

14. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    My experience was quite the opposite. I wanted to try out the NV215, which was in the corner, so he had to rearrange a whole mess of stuff to get it hooked up, and he was more than happy to do it.

15. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    rudy's has been nothing but awesome to me, let me play their ritter basses, etc.
    there is a used orange ad 200b at action music in arlington, va.
    right now, in great shape and it sounds excellent.....i think it's around $1,600. or so.
    however, it has very little flexibility as far as tone and will not get near the clean volume of a 400+ or svt.

cheers
    doug

16. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    How much clean volume does it have? Can anyone compare it to a common amp as a reference for the amount of clean volume it has? ie. does it have as much clean volume as a G-K 800rb, Ampeg svt3 pro, Eden WT 400, etc.? I have an old SVT and a Mesa 400+, but I can run those amps pretty low and still have enough clean volume, so not having as much as those amps doesn't tell me if it has enough volume for my needs or not. If I need to turn the Orange to 4 to be as loud as the Mesa on 2 then that's fine with me. My concern is if I need to turn the orange to 7 to be as loud as the Mesa on 2.

17. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
  18. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    MAc I love your bass tone!!! great playing aswell:)

19. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    +1. You got yourself some nice tone!

20. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    man..
    thank you! really... i don't usually get comment on my playing, but they are all welcome.. =)