Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Orange Amplification...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lemonadeisgood, Dec 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    WOW! The same store that I have the Eden WT-500 on layaway for me just got a used Orange AD200B. I heard it calling my name from the back of the store. I had to try it out. It was amazing, i'm thinking about forgetting the Eden and going for the Orange amp.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Now that would be dumb.

3. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!

4. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Orange amps are really cool.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I can't believe this is happening.

6. You seem to be biased against Orange. Can you elaborate on your opinion?

FF

7. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    man, i'd buy it in a heartbeat; i tried one with my Kubicki and it sounded great...almost got that jack bruce/allen woody tone!

8. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I'm not going to read Munji's mind now, but Orange is not a division of Eden.

9. I have to agree w/ Munji; Eden, in my mind, is FAR superior than anything Orange Amplification has ever done.

Admittedly, Orange sounds cool (from my experience with an older head) for thick blues, dub, reggae, that sort of thing. But Eden is SO g*ddamn beautiful inh every aspect of the word. I wish I had the money for one. I've played Edens and thay can do EVERYTHING.

If you're stuck between Orange and Eden, be VERY CAREFUL of making the right decision to get YOUR UNIQUE sound.

10. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    Personally, I don't really care for amps made in the states, even. I've had problems with GK, Ampeg, SWR (let's NOT even go there...), Peavey, as well as Eden - but didn't have one problem with my old Trace rig...as well as the fact that unless it's an old Ampeg, I can't get a tone that I like out of a US made amplifier. Then again, I tend to go for an almost growlish kind of sound, whereas I couldn't get anything remotely sounding decent without the use of an overdrive box.

11. Davemell0

Davemell0

Nov 19, 2001
    SW Virginia
    my vote is for the Orange, you can't beat good tube tone.

12. RicMeister

RicMeister Guest

Nov 25, 2001
    How the Orange gear of today is as far as build quality and tone, I have no idea. I do know that the guitar amps Orange was making 30 to 35 years ago were some of the most overlooked and underrated out there. Those amps had TONE TO DIE FOR! I never could understand why they weren't more popular than Marshall, though I'm not saying Marshall amps are bad. They're great, of course. But I always thought Orange amps were about the coolest out there.

Now, having said all that, I can claim to having first hand experience with Eden. And Munjibunga is right: Eden kicks ass! Great tone and high quality build. Admittedly, the people at Eden are FLAKY and (from what I've been told by more than one source) very difficult to deal with at times.

But man, they sure do make some great sounding, good quality gear.

13. I'd be wondering about the build quality of the new Oranges (they're built by Gibson now, aren't they?). The old OR100 heads are magical (if a little underpowered)...

But, as said by others here, and myself being a recent convert, Eden is the bomb!

14. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Orange Amps are NOT built by Gibson anymore!!!!!!!!
    Cliff Cooper (the original Orange man) is at the helm of the new Orange company. I am the Boston dealer for them and have sold over 30 amps (guitar), without a single problem! I have the new AD-200B due in this week and can't wait to check it out. I may have to keep this one for myself!!!!

15. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    didnt geezer butler use orange amps? or was that laney?

16. I think he used Orange...any fans that could enlighten us?

-----and while in topic...who else plays/has played them?

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Orange...OVER Eden...this...this is not logical.

Was there a paradime shift while I was out Christmas shopping or something?

18. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    I know I'm gonna catch some flak for this.........I think Eden is some of the most unreliable, and stiffest sounding stuff out there. I currently have a WT-800 that's been back for repair 3 times, at 3 months per! I havn't used it forever, cause I never know when it's gonna croak. I think for the kind of money they cost, there's a lot of other stuff that is more durable.
    LET THE FLAMING BEGIN!

19. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Eden is not the end all. Sheesh, sometimes I get the feeling that people invest too much of their ego in their gear and take it personally when someone forgoes "their" brand for another.

I am not a big fan of Orange amps but I can see why someone might prefer it to Eden. Heck, I prefer many brands to Eden but I would never say that Eden is crap or it would be a mistake for someone to buy it if they like it. IMO, it's basically an SWR with a warmer voiced preamp. I'd wager in a couple of years there will be the next big thing and people will rally around that and poopoo anyone who says "Should I get Eden over THECOOLESTTHINGCOZISAIDSO brand?"

Yes Geezer did use Orange for a while, but I think Tony Iommi stuck with them longer.

20. Given the £££ I'd buy Orange without a moments hesitation. I had one in the 70s and it was GREAT. I'd juss-lurve to stand in front of a couple of their cabs with a tube head atop. My idea of heaven.:D

Gotta be patriotic, too.;)

I was lead to believe that Orange subcontract to Trace Elliot to have their amps built. Can't confirm that, though. I don't know why they don't build some / all themselves.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.