Orange Amplification...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lemonadeisgood, Dec 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think you're going to be seeing a lot more of this in the future. I think people are getting tired of amps with a million sliders and knobs like the Eden. There seems to be a return to simplicity going on. I got rid of my Hartke/Ampeg bi-amp rig for a Mesa Buster. Two volume controls, and three tone controls. So much easier to use, and much easier to get a good sound out of.

In other words, I'd choose the Orange over the Eden in a heartbeat.

2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Ah, this seems to develop into a very nice thread :D
    Matthias

3. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I'd take an Orange 200 any day!

4. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Orange amps have a strange reputation of either being greatly loved or greatly hated. I would love to have an old one but I hear that the new stuff is really nice. As far as why they were not more popular than Marshall's; you could ask the same question about Hiwatt amps. Hiwatt's are vastly superior in build quality yet they never caught on; maybe they were too clean (hint: nice for us bassists!!).

I've owned an SWR Redhead (original; and miss it), Eden WT400, Eden WT800, with SWR and Eden cabs. While I am sold on the Eden 2-10XLT the amps never cut thru enough for me in the mix. They sounded great when I played by myself but in the band I got lost. I then got into tube gear and found the tone I was missing.

Tapp

5. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I wold take the Orange AD200. It´s built in Orange´s customshp and is handbuilt point to point wired. It comes with the best parts available inkluding Svetlana 6550 tubes :cool: .
    It sounds terrific and is built like a tank. In a test in a Swedísh guitarmag it got the highest score and the tester seemed really excited.
    Try it before you talk it down!!!

[​IMG]
    :cool:

6. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    Thats EXACTLY what i'm thinking. Sure, with the Eden I could get a lot of good tones, but with the Orange I can get one AMAZING tone, and thats I've been looking for. I've got my mind pretty much made. It's an extra 500$, but it'll be worth it. :cool:

7. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    If that tube tone is what you're after, there are other options too! From the big king daddy vintage ampeg SVT, to: (200 watters) Hiwatt 200, Marshall major, Orange 200 (rare!), Sound City 200... to (100 Watters) Hiwatt DR103, Orange 120, Sunn Model T, ampeg V-4B...

If you're talkin' new gear, the mesa 400+ is excellent, and v e r y powerful! Also aguilar, sunn 300T, trace V-series...

8. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    Rickenbackerman, thanks for the suggestions, but i've already found an Orange AD-200B and i'm very satisfied with the tone I get. Now its just a matter of paying it off. :p

9. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    My amp is kinda red and it's pretty cool!

10. RockFiend

RockFiend

Aug 23, 2000
    Speaking from Canada here, I was recently looking to dump off my Sunn 300T fpr another tube head, was considering the Mesa 400+ and the Orange 200, can someone possibly give me Canadian fund prices on these heads, and if that isn't going to happen even USD would be appreciated just as a benchmark, also last question I need a power chugger to keep up with the demands of my abnd, the 300T did so apropriately but still as I move on I'm wondering if the 200 watt Orange will suffice...?

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    "Orange ... one tone, take it or leave it." Adolph Hitler, 1944.

12. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    dude...you couldn't PAY me to take an Eden head; I'd use the cabinet but no way on the head.

13. I read in "Amps, The Other Half of Rock"N'Roll" that the older Orange amps were built like Hiwatts, which were "mil spec".
    They did have reliability problems though.

My friend, guitar player, just bought a 30 watt Orange head (Class A), and it sounds better than anything I ever heard yet.

I think they use KT88s in their bass heads.

They make "Green"", Red, & Black. Look under matamps.com

14. Unless things have changed recently, Orange and Matamp are not the same company. I think they were at some point in the 1960's, but no longer.

The only Nazi I see around here is you.

15. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    Munji,

a new low. And I ain't talkin' Hz.

16. Is that directed at anyone?

17. Chill guys, Munji's post was meant to be in jest...

I thought it was quite clever :p

Remember there are other factors in the Orange ~vs~ Eden war (or pretty much any amp war), such as weight, size, int'l voltage, etc...

A lot of the time people are "forced" into a particular amp due to what's available at the time, or what's available in the country.

18. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    Well, funny, just like amp tones, humor is subjective. I thought it was simply in bad taste and strangely out of place.

Nothing like a Hitler joke to kill the mood, 'cept maybe an OBL.

19. Davemell0

Davemell0

Nov 19, 2001
    SW Virginia
    Munji, I just wanted to ask if you've ever played through a well set up tube amp, eden's good, very good, but its just not that good.
    and do try not to take offense at this, just my humble opinion on tone and flexibility. You can do more than you ever thought possible with a good bass, a gain knob and a three band eq, and lots of tubes of course.

20. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Alright ya'll...simma' down a bit!

Munji's joke wasn't meant as a put down to anyone. Ya'll just gotta get used to Munji.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 23, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.